23.

"You aren't really going to issue that assault suit, are you?" I smiled nervously as I approached William.

"Give me one good reason not too." He paused his actions and grinned.

"Well, I was drunk," my smile turned sheepish now.

"Very invalid excuse."

I sighed, "I know and I'm— oh my purse," I deviated and quickly moved to the end of the marble top island. Thankfully, all the items within were intact. Or, at least seemed to be. Checking my phone, there were a few messages, most from this morning.

From: Heather
Hey! You weren't at the table when Darrell and I returned, we left already, see you Monday maybe!

From: Bella
Where did you disappear to last night chica? I was looking for you but Ramos said you probably left with his friend ;)

From: Jo
Girl I'm exhausted. I left with your friend last night and it was fun ;) I didn't see you tho, guessing you had some fun too yh? ;) ;)

I responded to them all then dropped my phone on the island top and turned to the handsome shirtless man making breakfast.

"Do you need any help?" I walked around the island and stood next to him.

He momentarily stared at me then continued mixing the eggs, "not exactly but you can get the plates."

"Alrighty." I said then went about finding and arranging plates on the island top and after, returned to his side. I glanced at him as he fried the eggs then also glanced at myself. I was still wearing his shirt over my skirt but due to the size of the shirt, the skirt was mostly covered. We certainly looked quite the pair. It felt familiar.

It was easy to forget he wasn't just my ex but my boss as well. It was getting easier to forget a lot of things. We'd been dancing in between the lines of professional and unprofessional at most for weeks now. I guessed one more morning of completely tilting the scale wouldn't hurt. One more morning of pretending there weren't unsaid things. He finished with the eggs, served the entire breakfast and in the quiet of his apartment, we ate.

Sadly, my drinking abilities were nearly as good as my hangover recuperating abilities. So, once we were done eating and clearing the dishes, most of the memories from the night before had returned.

They were awful.

Awful, was an understatement.

"Thank you," I dropped the dish towel and turned to William starting very awkwardly.

"For?" He asked ambiguously and I knew he was going to make me spell it out. I nearly groaned.

"For helping me, bringing me here and uh, showing so much self constraint against my uh—attempts." I coughed.

"It wasn't so hard." He shrugged indifferently and I gaped at him then scoffed.

"Well, I was just very drunk by the way, it was more of the situation than you, it would have been the same outcome had it been anybody else." I said obstinately.

"Of course," his tone was very disbelieving.

"I mean it," I scowled.