25.

"Can you blame her? You must really be dense to have allowed her roam about here freely!" Lilian turned to me angrily.

"Maybe because unlike you I don't believe everyone is trying to seduce the boss!"

"Well look where your nobility got you." She glared at me.

"Me? I believe you received some far worse insults from her." I said and her scowl deepened. "It's not my fault this place is a circus. This company needs to be endorsed for a reality show or something." I grumbled.

"As ridiculous and fictional it may seem to you, this is real life. Women like that exist, trying to sleep their way into power even if they have to use sabotage, deceit and end up ruining lives! Mr Illston is an innocent man who does not deserve any of that!" Lilian's eyes flamed with a passion that momentarily stunned me.

"I know that, goodness I've had my fair share of it these past few weeks and it's terrible people would stoop so low but not everyone is trying to do that Lilian," I exhaled, "continually castigating and judging everyone is wrong. Taylor maybe all those things but she is also right, Mr Illston is a grown man, he can handle himself."

She crossed her arms then in a matter-of-factly tone said, "that is probably the most sense I have heard you speak since our first acquaintance."

"I'll take that as a compliment." I fell back into my chair unaware when I even stood up.

"The only one you'll ever receive from me."

"One is miraculous enough."

She glanced at me then let out a small sigh. "I am not for sharing sob stories but the moment seems to call for one, does it not?"

I didn't say anything. She sat then tapped the desk.

"I started working for Mr Illston four years ago. The company was not what it is now but he and Mr Durham were very determined and full of potential." She smiled a little, probably reminiscing the old memories. "At a launch party a few months down, I caught a woman in the act of spiking Mr Illston's drink." A frown now marred her features. I frowned too, wondering what the woman had planned to do.

"You see," she sighed, "my mother, she trapped my father into marriage by getting pregnant, with me. Through the same nefarious means of drugging a drink."

A little surprised breath left my lips.

"I am sure my mother believed love would eventually come but it never did. There was only hate. I was the bane of both their existences and it was rather miserable living between such hate." She chuckled dryly.

"I'm sorry about that Lilian," I started but she waved a hand dismissively.

"In that moment, seeing that woman drug Mr Illston's drink, I was suddenly watching my own parents instead, right before their downfalls and it made me very desperate. I did not want another child brought into this world only to suffer because of the sins of their parents. From then on, I guess I made a mission out of it and because I was able to stop that woman, I began seeing Mr Illston as someone I had been able to protect and had to continue protecting rather than an employer capable of fending for himself."

I gazed at Lilian in bit of a new light. It was a surprise learning all I'd just did and I felt a little honoured she'd shared that part of her life with me. But more importantly, it helped me understand her better.