49.

Uncle Mike and Mark didn't let me leave until the doctor gave me the clear. This meant the nurses had to yet again hook me up to the IV. I appreciated their concern, I truly did but they were honestly the bane of my existence. Didn't they know better than to stop a pregnant extra hormonal woman? No, they didn't and I couldn't do much for arguing because my sister and Erin were on their side too. I knew none of them was seeing past my delicate state. It was sweet but still. I needed to see Will especially since they weren't giving me the details I wanted. Details no one but Will could give me.

Somewhere along all the maddening thoughts rushing through my head like a nineties concert, I realised something very crucial. Something, I-being very honest-wasn't just realising. Somehow, within these months meeting Will again, working for him then not working for him, the numerous push and pulls, I become the one thing I swore not to become. I was a fool. A fool undeniably in love with William Illston. Like a ton of bricks, it hit me. I love Will.

And I wasn't put out by this truth. Will had stomped all over my heart all those years ago, had been an asshole when I started working for him, tried to be an asshole again the night of Debbie's wedding yet he didn't do those things because he wanted to. In his foolhardy mind, the idea seemed logical. He wanted to protect me and everyone else. So he did the one thing he knew best and closed off, nearly losing himself too, hoping Runo would buy it. And, it worked. Runo bought it but so did I. Will was an even bigger fool than I.

But the possibility of waking up every day and not getting to see him, talking to him, banter about every minute and unnecessary thing, clenched my gut hard. He had to be okay. There was still so much to say and make up for. More importantly, I needed him to know I'd forgiven him. He'd done a lot of atonement these past few weeks we'd been running around searching for the memory card. He'd given me time and never asked for anything. Without acknowledging it, I knew something was changing between us. I'd love Will when I was nineteen and antsy and I loved him now that I was twenty-seven and subdued. Borrowing his words-albeit cheesy as hell-he was it for me.

If Cece ever got a glimpse into my head and saw even a fraction of my thoughts, she'd never let me live it down. I came to a stop a few feet away from the grey hospital door. Behind it was Will. Cece and Erin had given me instructions on how to get here when I told them I wanted to come alone. They didn't mind and even the bulldozers known as uncle Mike and Mark had nothing to say. Now, standing so close to Will's door, I wrung my fingers together feeling scared of the unknown and the possibility of knowing. Erin although, still exhausted had been smiling when she came into my room after seeing Will. She said the surgery had gone well but he was still asleep.

I took another step forward when a doctor came out of Will's room, heading my way.

"Hello?" I stopped him and he turned to me with an inquisitive smile.

"Hey there,"

"Is William okay?"

"Are you family?" He regarded me slowly and I nodded eagerly to get answers.

"You were in the accident with him." He said knowingly then his face took on a grim expression. "His comatose state is lasting longer than we expected. We might have to declare him comatose soon and hope for the best."

"Comatose?" I repeated shakily. Nobody mentioned anything about a coma. They said he was sleeping.

"It can last anything from weeks to years but as I said, we are hoping for the best." He was sympathetic as my heart sunk to the ground. I didn't wait to hear anything else he had to say and rushed into Will's room.

He was laying still on the bed, a bunch of wires sticking out and connected to an IV. I got to his side and slowly held his hand. His face was a swollen mess from the punches and beatings he'd sustained from Runo. A tear dropped on our conjoined hands. I was crying.