34.

Nearly seven years later and I could still remember everything; the tears, the heartache, the pain. The pain. It enveloped me for weeks. For weeks, I kept looking back, calling and texting every single day. He never answered. God, I was so stupid then. But after the pain, finally came the moving on. I picked myself up and never looked back again, until now.

The car stopped.

William cleared his throat. "The meeting's by 10 am tomorrow."

"I know, I'm your personal assistant remember?" I opened the door and stepped out. I admired the tall apartment complex for a few seconds before the bitterness crept in and overwhelmed me. I turned my gaze back to William who was getting the boxes out of the trunk.

"How did you achieve Illston tech anyway? Did you sell your soul to devil? Oh no, nevermind I remember. I was the one holding you back from your success and glory. I guess that's why we are on opposite ends of the spectrum now." I laughed loudly and took my box from him.

"That's not-" he was saying but the rest of his words fell away as I swiftly entered the building.

"Where do I stay?" I asked once we were in his luxury penthouse apartment.

"Third door to the left." He pointed and I started moving.

"Ophelia," he stopped me. "You weren't holding me back or weighing me down."

"You know, I thought I was for a while," I chuckled, "I thought everything was really my fault but finally realized it wasn't. It was all your fault, just you." I headed towards the door he pointed at and the sweet fragrance of apple blossoms immediately hit my nose as the door opened. I rolled my box to edge of the bed and sat down.

It was Thursday, barely five o'clock, my first time in Chicago and I was angry. I needed to cool off. I thought of my sister and pulled my phone out to text her.

To: Cece
In Chicago

From: Cece
Awesome! Have fun

To: Cece
Pray your sister doesn't commit a felony before she leaves

From: Cece
What???

To: Cece
Just kidding. Call me if you need anything

From: Cece
Okay -_- and I'll still keep you in my prayers

To: Cece
:)

I stood up and gazed around the room for a bit before entering the bathroom to take a shower and change out of my clothes. Running a hand through my slightly damp hair nearly fourty minutes later, I was now clad in a short summer dress and sandals. I left the room and found William sitting on an island barstool dressed in sweatpants and a round neck shirt. I was instantly annoyed all over again. Why did he have to look that good?

"Hey," he sat up as he saw me.

"Hey." I mumbled.

"I just ordered some food." He raised his phone up.

"Eat it alone. I'm going out."

"To where?"

"Anywhere."

"You could get lost." He said and I scowled at him.

"I'll find my way back just fine." I completed my steps to the elevator and entered. I glared at the doors in frustration after they closed. I still felt so angry and him sitting there, looking like I just kicked his puppy wasn't helping my internal conflict at all.