40.

"A p-picture of me?" I stammered.

There was another short pause.

"Yes, turns out he's an assassin."

A lump immediately formed in my throat. An assassin? "And he wanted to kill me?"

"He was hired but we don't know by who yet. It's a one way database. It doesn't show who sent in the requests."

My heart thudded louder.

"You appeared last on the list but this database dates back as far as fifteen years and we found something else in the archives. Another picture of you, but from about seven years ago."

His words entirely stilled me.

"From seven years ago?" I repeated slowly.

"I think it's from the same source. All the requests have certain formats and the format of the two requests are similar."

I could barely wrap my head round all he was saying. Someone wanted me dead? Seven years ago and now, why?

"This may all be very confusing at the moment and I don't want to lay it all down yet,"

"There's more?"

"Can you think of anyone who might have a grudge against you?"

"Not enough to want to kill me." My voice was fray.

"If you think of something or if anything rings a bell, please call me immediately."

"I will."

"Also, if you notice any tails, shadows, anything, don't hesitate to call either. But don't worry too much, this will all be over soon."

I really hope so.

"Thank you Detective."

"One more thing, have you heard of FMG?" He suddenly asked and I heard some movement in the background.

"Um, I don't know... should I have?"

"I'm kinda hoping you haven't."

"What are they?" I sat a bit straighter.

"Florentino Machineries and Gadgets. It was the company Elise Lynette worked at until January this year."

When the call finally ended after some more assurance from the Detective, the entire conversation replayed in my head like a broken record. Someone was trying to kill me? Why? My chest ached with trepidation and the thought of being murdered made me sick to my stomach. The memory of Elise Lynette who lived below me, in my former apartment made me even more queasy. They'd said it was gruesome.

"We are back," the sudden opening of the door startled me and a scream, lodged in my throat nearly escaped.

My sister furrowed a brow, "it's just us. What's wrong with you? Were you throwing up again?" Her eyes turned worried then.

"No. I was just," I shrugged.

"Well, guess who we saw at the mall?"

"Who?" I asked half heartedly.

"William's little sister."

"Erin?"

Cece nodded then smiled, "she recognized us and came over, I don't think we've ever met though."

"She's a darling." Mom inputed.

"Yeah, she–" I paused. And like a light bulb turning on in my head, it came. "Erin." I repeated. Erin had asked me about it, FMG. But she'd quickly shrugged it off after. William. William had to be the focal point in all this madness.