15.

"W-what did you say?"

"Exactly! An absolutely ridiculous thing to even write," Heather continued to rant. I swallowed as dread filled me. My fingers fumbled over the links that appeared on the screen before clicking on the entertainment news and there it was as one of the top news for the day.

'Billionaire in love with an employee?'

I quickly opened more links.

'William Illston of Illston Tech is apparently not immune to love! He bought his lastest addition to his name, Dieter & Leona in early March and we thought it was simply a business move. Who knew it was all actually part of a ploy to rekindle old flames and make his feelings known to his ex girlfriend from college. When a billionaire decides to woo you, he certainly does it stylishly!'

-Debbie Maguire

My eyes widened seeing the name at the bottom of the post and I remembered the dinner with the girls. Why would she post this? Because she believed your lies. I texted her as fast as my fingers could type.

To: Debbie Maguire
Why did you post that online?!!!

Her reply came in seconds.

From: Debbie Maguire
Your love story? Cause it needed to be shared! I know I should have asked but I knew you'd be shy. I'm sorry!♡

I dropped my phone in defeat and let out a heavy breath then ran my hands through my hair. My gaze slowly went to William's door and I asked Heather, "where is he?"

"Inside and he is so angry Ophelia. I have never seen him this way before." She frowned and my heart beat even faster. I told one stupid lie and karma caught up with me this fast? Where was she when I desperately needed her in the past? The doors to William's office suddenly opened. He stood at the threshold and when his gaze met mine, I nearly shivered.

"Heather please go prepare for the meeting with the finance team. You, come in." He gritted out and turned back into his office.

"Okay sir," Heather replied and passed me a worried glance before moving, while I silently walked towards my doom.

"Care to explain?" William stood behind his desk, an angry scowl etched on his face.

"I–"

"Imagine my surprise," he cut me off, "getting to work and I'm attacked by reporters asking me who the mystery woman is. I finally check my phone and see a post made by Debbie fucking Maguire, who is a journalist by the way. I think, well we never did clear it up with her when we saw her that afternoon but then I remember, as cynical as she can be, she would never make up stories unless she was told something. So Ophelia, care to explain why I'm on the headlines for buying a company as a romantic gesture?" He moved to the front of the long desk.

"I–"

"You what Ophelia?"

"I lied okay! I told Debbie and the others that you bought the company I work at," I sighed, "and confirmed we were back together like Debbie still thought. They turned it into a romantic gesture but I never refuted it," my voice lowered.

"Why?" He sighed.

"I don't know." I muttered.