32.

The cool evening air slightly chilled my face as I walked home. I let my thoughts intertwine with the wind, taking me back to a few hours earlier.

"That was so embarrassing and it was all your fault."

"All my fault?" William laughed. "It takes two to tango Ophelia." He leaned back into the couch. It was nearly half past four and he'd called me into his office barely two minutes ago. Mark already left about an hour before but not without passing me a sly smirk on his way out.

"I told you anyone could walk in." I shifted on the couch, facing him squarely.

"To be fair, you were more specific about Lilian and Mark isn't Lilian." He shrugged indifferently.

"I can't believe your nonchalance right now. Mark is going to think–"

"He already knows we dated in college." William interjected.

"You told him?"

"I shouldn't have?" One of his brows arched up.

"Didn't think you wanted to but he's your friend, you can tell him whatever you want." I looked away.

"He saw an old picture of us in my apartment and it cemented all his previous suspicions about us."

"Oh. Why do you even have that?" I stared at the center table.

"What?"

"An Old picture of us." I grimaced a bit.

"You don't?"

"Why would I? Burnt them all a long time ago along with all your other stuff."

"Of course you did." His smile was mellow.

"So Mark knows we dated back in college. What about now? What's the explanation for this afternoon?"

"I think that is a question even we are yet to answer." He folded his arms and I coughed.

"Residue sexual tension. That's the answer." My eyes focused on the patterns of the skirt portion of my dress. I heard him chuckle and looked up.

"Is that really the answer?" He turned and we were much closer than before. The way his dark eyes now accessed me made me feel bare to the bone. It was unnerving and thrilling at the same time.

"Yes," I said ignoring the tingly feeling that spread all over my body just from his nearness.

"You keep avoiding my gaze." He smiled.

"And you don't seem so miserable anymore." I turned the tables.

"You just happened to cheer me up."

"Or was that the plan and were you pretending?" I asked hotly and his smile immediately disappeared.

"Do you really think I planned that? Pretended just so I could kiss you?"

I cleared my throat, "I won't fall for it next time. It was highly unprofessional."

"I'm sure you won't," He chuckled patronisingly, "and Miss Duhamels, words of advice, don't go about kissing someone you don't like and think the worst of. It might create the wrong impression."