29.

"This isn't the file I asked for."

"Hm?"

"I said this isn't the file I asked for." William repeated in an exasperated tone.

"You said the pink file." I argued.

"You must have developed severe colour blindness over the past two days then." He said drily and my eyes finally dipped to scan the file in question. It was green.

"Oh," I bit my lip guiltily, "sorry, I'll go get the right one."

"Wait," he stopped me. Leaning back in his chair, he slowly assessed me, "you've been miles away all day, what's wrong?"

I arrived late, of course but Lilian wasn't in and William had come in even later. I almost missed when he actually walked in because my mind was occupied with various thoughts of: my sister, our parents, lawyers, divorces, alimonies, prisons and painful executions. I'd indeed been miles away all day.

"It's nothing, I'm fine."

"Is it your landlord or the investigations?" He stood up and walked over to me.

Looking up at him, the patient look in his eyes almost made me want to spill everything but I just shook my head, "I'm fine, really."

He sat on the edge of the desk then casually ran a hand through his hair. My fingers suddenly tingled and the memory of me running my hands through the same hair Saturday afternoon appeared forefront in my mind. I blinked it away.

"Are you sure?" He crossed his arms over his chest.

"Mmhm," I nodded, "I'll go get the right file now."

"Okay." He finally conceded.

When I picked up the green file from the desk, the pink file he needed became much clearer in my mind's eye and I groaned.

"What?" William still perched on the edge of his desk, turned his head to ask.

"You don't happen to need that file today, do you?" I smiled nervously.

"Before 5 pm precisely, why?" He eyed me dubiously.

"I may have taken it home yesterday and left it in my bag and brought a different bag today." I wrung my fingers together.

"You are probably the worst employee I've ever come across."

"Becoming a personal assistant was hardly my vision when I started working here and besides, clerical work doesn't even suit me anyway." I harrumphed.

"No, it doesn't." He smiled and the depth of it nearly knocked me off my feet.

I cleared my throat.

He stood up, "let's go then."

"Go where?"

"Your apartment."

"You'll drive me there?"

"Well if you'd rather go alone—"