41.

"I found out you were on the database again the night of Debbie's wedding." Will said disrupting the silence that had settled between us. "When I walked into that boardroom months ago and saw you sitting there, I thought fate was definitely mocking me."

"That makes two of us." I murmured.

"But I'd missed you. It had been so long it felt like a dream. That was my first thought."

Understanding the meaning his words implied, I was taken back to Chicago and the night he said he'd never once hated me. The night I'd been curious about what his first thought was, after seeing me again for the first time in years, but couldn't bear to know. I was so wary then. I took it all in like air now.

"You despised me on site," a small smile played on his lips, "and given how I ended things, I expected nothing less. I decided I could work with it, make you hate me more till it eventually drove you away. Surprisingly, you were as determined as I was."

"I needed the money." My gaze was back on the rug. "Even if it meant working with my jerk of an ex."

"I couldn't properly apologise before. I can now. I'm sorry for being an asshole too many times. From seven years ago, to three months ago to last Saturday and everything in between. I'm sorry for constantly trying to drive you away. I kept thinking, 'the further, the safer'. Erin says I'm a colossal idiot."

"You are," I nodded although my eyes watered a little.

"I know." His smile was wry. "That night when I found out you were on that fucked up list again, I got scared Ophelia but I shouldn't have said any of that shit. It wasn't a mistake. Nothing about you or us has a ever been a mistake. I'd do everything all over again, and I mean from running into you with my coffee, if it didn't have to put you in danger." He finished and that damn sincerity surrounded me once more. I avoided his eyes.

"I—I wish you didn't leave. I wish I'd known about what was happening. I now know your intentions were good, it really was more than us in the end but it doesn't really take the hurt away. I loved you and you leaving like that, all that love turned to hate and loathing. When I finally got over everything, I didn't care much again. One bad breakup on my sleeve. Seeing you after so many years though, I wasn't as indifferent as I wanted to be. I started remembering everything, from the hurt when you left to all those feelings you first made me feel. I hated it."

His eyes softened and I looked away feeling awkward from all I just verbally expressed.

"Do you think you would you have stayed or taken me back?" His voice was quiet. I thought about it too. It was all in the past now but I still couldn't help wishing I'd known it all then. If I eventually had though, would we have been able to survive the brunt together? Murders, gangs and threats were really a whole new territory. It was insane enough even now that William seemed to have the capacity to fight them. Back then? I could only imagine.

Love couldn't solve everything afterall.

"Who knows? I could have run for the hills or we could've been married with three kids now." I chuckled softly.

His smile froze and his gaze fell to my belly. Shit. My laughter seized with a cough. The elephant was so large there was hardly any space for us in the room anymore.

"Um, so you're pregnant?" He cleared his throat loudly.

"Yes and I'm keeping it by the way." I was resolute.

"I wouldn't have it any other way." He suddenly smiled.

I coughed again.

"This Runo guy has been keeping tabs on you?" My question was really meant to steer us off our current talk but it was also something to be worried about.