5.

I groaned and snoozed my alarm for the fifth time that morning. I changed my position and shoved my face into the pillow.

What time was it anyway?

My eyes slowly widened as ringing bells sounded in my head. It was Tuesday not Saturday. I quickly sat up and grabbed my phone from the bedside table. My hands pulled my hair back from my face and I nearly shit myself seeing what time it was. I was fourty five minutes behind the new schedule I'd been religiously following since last week.

The next thirty minutes were a blur, showering, dressing and brushing; I was unsure what order everything followed but after leaving my apartment, I patted myself for not having on two different pairs of shoes.

I splurged and took a taxi directly to work. Walking inside the building, I checked my time again and groaned; a whole hour late. On reaching my floor, I didn't expect to see my boss, his PA and Heather converged in the passageway.

All eyes turned to me.

"Miss Duhamels, how lovely of you to finally join us." William announced sarcastically.

"I–"

"There is never an excuse for being late." Lilian eyed me sternly as she spoke.

"I h–"

"Did you lose a loved one?"

"No, I–"

"Did you have an accident?" She cut off my pathetic attempts to form an excuse again and stared at me expectantly. I shook my head and she concluded, "no excuses at all."

William looked at me, gestured towards his office and walked in. Like a child about to be reprimanded for wrongdoings, I followed. Heather was kind enough to offer a sign of sympathy.

I closed the door behind me and waited.

"One strike, you've lost one strike and only two left now."

"What?"

"You must have thought I was joking then?"

"No." I gritted out.

"Good, you may leave." He waved his hand dismissively and I wanted so badly to throttle him.

Leaving his office only proved to be one fire to another. Lilian stood opposite the door with her two hands set on her waist, looking as stern as she did yesterday and earlier. The look must be her trademark.

"You can sit and we will begin." She motioned to my chair. I went to sit and the next few hours were filled with basics and dos and don'ts.

"My last and certainly not the least important lesson for the day is," she paused for effect, "do not sleep with your boss, ever."

I nearly snorted. William Illston, self-made billionaire extraordinaire
must have been every bachelorette's dream at the moment but they were also unaware of his true colours and character. Heather giggled and my eyes lifted to see Lilian's unmistakable gaze on me. I was immediately offended.

"Why are you staring at me, Heather is very much a female as I am."

"I'm engaged," she smiled and shyly raised her hand to show off the engagement ring which I, for the first time just noticed. Had she always had it on?

"I haven't had it on since, it was getting resized." She explained.

"Oh, congratulations on your engagement then." I smiled.

"Yes Heather congratulations but the point remains, never sleep with your boss." Lilian said bringing us back to the topic and again holding me with her accusatory stare.