39.

"The exact same reaction your sister had, I expected you girls to be surprised, not petrified." She laughed.

"I didn't know you were coming mom."

"That's why it's a surprise P." She shook her head in an exasperated manner. I smiled and approached her, hugging her tightly and inhaling the familiar scent of cinnamon and vanilla.

"I've missed you mom." I exhaled.

"I've missed you more baby." We pulled apart. She studied my face closely and smiled. Her expression suddenly changed and she crossed her arms over her chest, staring at Cece and I pointedly, "Now what secret are you both hiding?"

"Secret?" I laughed, "what secret? There's no secret, right Cece?"

"None at all. We love the surprise mom but you should have called. We would have come pick you up from the airpot. What if you got lost or something?" Cece continued and mom took a seat on the long couch before lifting her hands up dismissively.

"Calling would have ruined the surprise. It shouldn't be much of a surprise anyway. I did tell you girls I'd be coming. And I managed, finding my way well on my own, didn't I?"

"You did." Cece smiled and perched on the arm of the couch.

"How's dad? And how was your flight?" I sat next to mom.

"Your father is fine. He misses you both a lot but someone needs to hold down the forte over there. He's really into gardening these days or at least he thinks he is. In my opinion, he's just making a mess of our entire frontyard. Anyway, my flight was good, no turbulence and I slept through most of it." She stretched a bit. I laughed imagining dad mixing dirt and planting flowers around.

"How is work P? I hope you don't run into that ex of yours often?" She frowned at the last part.

"Barely even see him," I chuckled indifferently. Cece started clearing her throat and I viciously glared at her over mom's head.

"That's good." She nodded then mistily smiled at both of us. "Look at my two babies, all grown up. You have both been through a lot and I'm so happy to see smiles on your faces."

Mom gestured to Cece who shifted from her position, till she was next to mom and side hugged her. Mom put her other arm around me as well and I enjoyed the comfort of my mother's hug while also thinking of the fairly big secret(s) I was keeping from her. She would sooner or later discover but later was best.

"She can't know I'm pregnant, not yet! And she certainly can't know I was working directly under Will until two days ago or that he's the father!" I whisper yelled to Cece minutes later in the privacy of my room.

"She's definitely going to find out P, she's not a dunce!" She whisper yelled back.

"What are you two in here whispering about?"

Our heads simultaneously turned to the door to see mom standing hands akimbo. "Nothing." We answered simultaneously.

"The food's getting cold, we should eat." Cece said.

"Yes, let's eat please." I smiled. Mom gave us one last doubtful look before proceeding to the dining table. We followed behind her. This was going to be a long visit.

The next morning I was throwing up my insides, at the smell of eggs, down the toilet. I sat back in a hunched position and sighed. Pregnancy was crazy. Cecile and mom were currently in the kitchen dealing with breakfast and setting the table. I really believed I could keep this from mom for the rest of the time she'd be around. My belly wasn't showing yet afterall. Cece thought I was crazy.