3.

In my twenty six years of living, I'd dated only a total of three men; all memorable bastards in their own rights. Of the three, William Illston was the second and had irrevocably meant the most. He taught me love and heartbreak, both of which I was unprepared for.

It had been nearly seven years since that chapter had closed but every now and then when my mind was a bit fuzzy, I reminisced about everything and all that went awry.

In my feelings, I imagined we'd meet again but never like this; not with me at my lowest and he at his highest. It just wasn't fair, I deserved a little compensation.

"My personal driver will take you, that's his number and here's my debit card for the purchase of everything." He handed me two cards which I collected.

"Pin?" I asked.

"My birthday." He turned and walked behind the large brown desk.

"I don't know that," I said and he looked at me, "you can't expect me to have kept something as irrelevant as that, it's been a minute."

"It has indeed been a minute," he nodded, then suddenly asked, almost genuinely, "how have you been?" His eyes softened and I nearly scoffed.

"The pin?" I asked again.

"I told you it is my birthdate."

"But I don't know it."

"Your second assignment then, find out or remember my birthdate." He proudly sat down on the black office chair.

"Is it even safe for a billionaire to have his debit card pin as his birthday?" I murmured.

"Oh and miss Duhamels, if my office isn't transformed before noon on Friday, you're fired." He smiled unapologetically.

"Asshole." I murmured underneath my breath again, on my way out.

This is going to be a long day.

And it was.

I, in truth really didn't remember William's birthday date and had to rely on the assurance of internet sources.

"It's still crazy how you and Heather landed secretarial jobs with the hot new CEO." Joanne whistled as she swirled her chair on its axis.

"He is very handsome, try not to fall in love yet chica." Isabella winked and I almost grimaced.

"Impossible, trust me," I laughed knowingly, "I have to go now but I'll be back."

"Bye Ophelia," they waved.

The most part of my day was spent on my feet. I believed I could look to the driver for guidance but he was as clueless as I, if not more. We circled around the city, undecided on what furniture shop to patronize, for the first few minutes of the trip. Nearly an hour later, the car parked in the parking lot of a big furniture shopping complex.

The first twenty minutes of the ride, I'd admit I spent convincing myself not to quit and at least wait for my first paycheck.

"This just arrived from Italy yesterday. It's a whole set." Camilla, the manager of the store said. I spared the large table, chairs, couches, shelves and other accessories a minute's glance.

"Looks good enough for his ego. I'll take it." I smiled at her.

"Great, I'll need your card and then you fill a few forms and get your receipt and we can have it delivered to your place of work tomorrow evening at the latest and have everything arranged and installed Friday morning."

"Okay, here's the card."

I punched in what I believed to be his pin but the machine showed it was incorrect. I tried the pin again in another format but it remained incorrect. I smiled at the manager who now stared at me suspiciously.