First Meeting 1.2

"I

"I. Was. Supposed. To. Die," I say more clearly, pausing after each word, as I feel myself regaining my bearings.

"I know, I saw it we were almost too late," Alice maintaining a safe distance from me. 

"Edward- he was going to- but I'm-"

"We need to have a discussion, but not here. We're not the most dangerous things out here, Marianne," Jasper looks over at Alice for back up. 

Her eyes are distant and she doesn't respond to Jasper right away, "Edward will be gone by now, it should be safe to bring her to the house. Marianne, we need you to trust that we nor anyone in our family is going to harm you, we have a lot to discuss."

"I need you to answer one question before I consider going somewhere with you two."

"What would that be?" Jasper asks, seemingly amused by something. 

"What is your family?" 

"Alice-" Jasper hisses.

"Vampires. Vegetarians, we don't drink from people," Alice with a grin that flashes her dangerously sharp, perfect white teeth. 

I let out a dry laugh, "Don't drink from people my ass."

"Wait, you believe us so easily?" I am keenly aware of Jasper's hand on my shoulder as an aura of terror settles over me. 

I narrow my eyes at him, "I don't know what you're doing, but quit it! I have been waiting for this day for 8 years literally prophesying my own death - yeah, okay, vampires, I'll bite." 

As I walk out of the forest with Jasper and Alice the realization that I'm about to go to a house full of vampires - real freaking vampires - sets in. How are they able to go out during the day? If they don't eat people, as they claim, what do they eat? 

We walk up to the familiar silver Volvo on a dimly lit roadway splitting the forest on either side. This is the car that I've associated with the family ever since they first came to this small town. I hesitate getting in, but decide that it's better to get answers first and fight later. I'd already narrowly escaped my death, surely nothing good was heading my way. I barely get a chance to put on my seatbelt before Alice is speeding down the road, and within minutes we pull up to a winding road and an illuminated three story modern home. 

Before I can unbuckle my seatbelt both Alice and Jasper are out of the vehicle and Jasper props my door open. I mutter a quick, "Thanks," in passing as we walk up the stairs to the porch. 

"Everyone, come meet Marianne," Alice voices rings. 

I blink and already I see two familiar faces, Rosalie and Emmett. I wasn't sure if they had been nearby or somehow managed to materialize out of thin air either way I felt my anxiety rising, but Jasper's hand on my shoulder and the following calming aura swiftly quelled the rising levels.