Transition 4.32

Two days passed surprisingly quick

Two days passed surprisingly quick. Edward had not left Bella's side once Alice cleaned and dressed her. Rosalie, Esme, and I took turns holding, feeding, entertaining and caring for Renesmee - who continued with her unconventional method of communication with the family after that inciting incident during out first meeting.

My dad had called the house several times. Carlisle had told me that the current story was that Bella was sick and receiving treatment under the CDC in Atlanta - they'd given Charlie a bad number to buy some more time. 

"It's time," Alice calls out softly. Rosalie and Jacob stay downstairs with the baby while the rest of us crowd into the guest room upstairs waiting for Bella to wake up. Jasper and Emmett are in front as a safety precaution since Carlisle warned us that we have no way of gauging what Bella will be like when she wakes up. I am behind Jasper, peaking around his shoulder to get a glance at Bella. She looks like she is simply sleeping, her once translucent skin has lost all color, but gained a smooth, crystal like finish. The venom had repaired the injuries she sustained during pregnancy and the delivery - she looked almost normal.

Bella's heart began to speed up in the final stage of the transition and then silence. No breathing from anyone in the room. Slowly Bella opened her eyes and we all waited silently, bated breath, to assess her. She sprung away from Edward's touch, gracefully in the air landing with her back against the wall farthest from the door. Her red eyes flick over each of us momentarily before Edward caught her attention, "Bella, love? I'm sorry, I know it's disoriented, but you're alright. Everything is fine."

Bella relaxes and throws her arms around Edward in a tight embrace causing him to wince - Emmett and Jasper take an unsure step forward. 

Edward signals them to stay put, "Um... carefully, Bella. Ow. You're a bit stronger than me at the moment, love."

"I love you."

"As I love you."

Bella attempts to be more gentle this time as she and Edward are caught up in a moment. Eventually Emmett clears his throat to break up the couple. 

Bella steps away - no longer blushing, she would never be able to do that again - and looks accusingly at Edward through narrowed eyes, "You've been holding out on me."

"How do you feel, Bella?" Carlisle prompts. 

"Overwhelmed."

"Yes, it can be quite confusing, but you're quite controlled even considering the time you had to prepare for this." 

"I'm not sure of that," Bella shrugs. "I want to see her, Renesmee." 

"Bella , that's not really a good idea - she's half human: her heart beats, blood runs in her veins... until your thirst is under control, you don't want to put her in danger, do you?"

Bella frowns at the thought, "Where is she? Is Rosalie with her?"

"Yes."

"What about Jacob? Charlie? How long was I...?"

"Two days," I spoke from behind Jasper who I was now mostly concealed behind despite my attempts to observe my sister. "Jacob's around and dad's been calling day and night."

"What does he know?" 

"Charlie believes you are still sick - in Atlanta undergoing tests at the CDC; Esme has been speaking with him," Carlisle explains. 

Edward attempts to coax Bella to go hunting, "We have all the time in the world for explanations, love."

"Wait, wait, wait," Alice interrupts and darts out of the room. "You promised- What if you two run past something reflective!"

Edward sighs in response; by this time Alice is already back with the floor length mirror for Bella to observe her handy work, "Edward gave me grief about not getting you to a mirror before the wedding - I will not be chewed out again!" 

Edward scoffs at that. 

Bella soaks in her new appearance, "The eyes? How long?" 

"They'll darken up in a few months-"

"Months?" 

At Bella's outburst Jasper steps forward, but something stops him. He tilts his head in confusion and he gazes at Edward. 

"What did I miss?" Bella asks. 

"Jasper wonders how you're doing it?"

"Doing what?"

"Controlling your emotions," Jasper drawls. "I've never seen a newborn do that: stop an emotion in its tracks... I was prepared to help, but you didn't need it."

"Is that wrong?" 

I step forward taking Jasper's hand.

"No," He says, but he doesn't sound so convinced - I can feel the apprehension seeping from him. 

"It's very impressive, Bella, but we don't know how long it can hold," Edward clarifies. And then his gaze goes back to Jasper's, "Alright, alright." 

"What?"

"You're making Jasper more edgy by the second-" This was absolutely true. "He may relax a little once you've hunted." 

"Okay, let's hunt," Bella agrees.