Eye of the Hurricane 3.25

"You are cordially invited to the wedding of Edward Anthony Masen Cullen and Isabella Marie Swan

"You are cordially invited to the wedding of Edward Anthony Masen Cullen and Isabella Marie Swan. August 13, 2006," I read aloud looking at the ornate script on one of the many wedding invitations Alice was mailing out today. "How did dad take it?"

"Charlie was fine with it," Bella answers nonchalantly helping Alice organize the invitations for delivery.

"Really?" 

"Well, his gun collection has never been cleaner," She rolls her eyes. 

I snicker, "As if that would stop Edward over here." 

"He's suspicious and wary, recounting on how he and Renee jumped into marriage," Edward adds. "And he may or may not think Bella is pregnant."

"As if that could happen," Bella mumbles.

"I'm sure he'd be happy to know you're 'waiting until marriage'," I tease. "And mom?"

"Overjoyed," Bella frowns. "But the wedding will probably be the last time I get to see her." 

"Hey, I know it's hard, but at least you'll have me." 

~ ~ ~

The month of July was full of wedding planning. In the aftermath of the battle, it was a jubilant time for the family, even Rosalie was partaking in the planning for the wedding. 

I had come to learn how much the Cullen family enjoyed large, extravagant events. 

Esme had been working on sketches for the ceremony and reception; her and Alice working together to achieve the most cinematic wedding venue. 

We had even had a more positive relationship with the shifters, and despite Bella's inevitable transformation going against the treaty - the threat of the Volturi was enough to keep them from retaliating. A few of them, namely Seth and Leah Clearwater, had already RSVPed for the wedding. I had heard Jacob had healed from the battle, but he hadn't been seen once he caught news of the wedding date. 

Things were good.

After a hunt with Jasper, we were sat in the clearing where the battle had occurred not even a month ago. I felt it was important to not become swept up in whirlwind of the wedding when we were very clearly not out of the woods just yet, I just felt like something was on the horizon. 

Jasper and I were set looking up at the sky in the center of the clearing. 

"No ghosts?"

I shake my head, "I've been getting better at sensing them, but not allowing myself to get so absorbed focusing on them... Bree, I've seen her a few times, but I don't want Esme or Carlisle to know, I think it would hurt them too much - that we were defenseless, unable to save her."

Jasper nods.

"The emotions at the house have been a lot lighter, you've been so much more content this past month." 

"Yes, it's much needed after everything we've been through recently. I'm soaking in as much as I can get, it's always easier with you around."

"Shut up, Jazz," I stick my tongue out at him. 

"I am completely serious it, Mary, I couldn't imagine in the earlier years of my existence feeling this way. I had been manipulated into thinking I was there for love, but this," He gestures between us. "Is all consuming - something better than I could have ever imagined." 

If I could still blush I probably would have, "Alright, Mr. Hale, you and your charming words. So are we going to be the next to plan a wedding to appease Alice?" 

"I don't have a preference, I'll stand by whatever you want to do."

"It doesn't really change anything to me, it's just the matter of it being an event, so I suppose the next time we need to quell Alice's need for a party we can just let her go wild." 

"If we're basing it off of Alice, we won't last a few months until she's already drafting the invitations and coordinating the outfits and venue," Jasper laughs. 

"Speaking of weddings, how am I going to be at Bella's with half of the town already thinking I'm dead?" 

"Alice has something up her sleeve, I'm sure of that." 

"And when they see me with you, what will they think?" 

"Do we care? It's going to be just one night, and we will be leaving Washington soon anyway to 'go to college'." 

"Fair enough," I agree. We aren't planning to stay past December; Esme has already finished her plans for the next house on the East Coast.

As Jasper and I sat in the field in silence I felt the coldness that I hadn't felt for a weeks. 

Jasper could immediately pick up on the shift, and he put his hand into mine asking, "Who is it?" 

My eyes scan the clearing, and they land on my gran - Charlie's mother, "My gran, it's been years since I last saw her."

She looked like she did the last time I saw her in person, wrinkly with wispy gray hairs and a soft smile on her face. 

"Marianne Louise," I had nearly forgotten the sound of her voice, the sound momentarily stunned me. "Look at you." 

"I'm-"

"I know, you know I was in this small town the first time the cold ones settled in Washington. Both you and Bella - from your earliest years spent visiting my son - I could tell you didn't quite fit in with the other children." 

"Gran, you knew?" 

"Knew? None of us knew, but it was the talk of the town especially once they left - the mark they left here. I can see it in you, and I know Bella is headed down that road. I need to warn you-"

"Of?" 

"What's wrong?" 

"Our family seems to have this pull to the supernatural, your father - my son, you need to watch out for him."

"She's concerned about my dad," I communicate to Jasper. 

"Is someone coming?" 

"Just call it a feeling, it's no good to keep him out of the loop - us Swans have our way of getting mixed into the storm."

And with that the clearing thawed, she was gone. Jasper looked at me expectantly.

"She thinks it's a wise decision to keep Charlie close by... I guess we'll just have to see how things pan out after Bella's transition." 

Jasper nodded thoughtfully - all of the Cullens had to leave their families behind them once they transitioned. So far I had been the only one in such close proximity to a living relative, and I was expecting the emotional toll it would take once we had to move away for good and I would never have to opportunity to see my dad alive again. 

Jasper was quick to comfort me at that thought and we remained in the clearing until dusk. 

[End of Book 3]