The Final Battle 4.38

We learned much about Nahuel and Huilen on the way

We learned much about Nahuel and Huilen on the way. Nahuel was venomous, but could not be certain if that was his talent or if it was a result of his gender; and he had turned Huilen when she initially grabbed for him after Pire's death. He had several sisters - all fathered by the same vampire - but none of them were venomous.

We told Nahuel and Huilen a little bit about our situation and our coven. Nahuel was particulalry curious about Renesmee. We also discussed what would be awaiting us back in Washington... all the Volturi kings, the wives, the guard, and their herd of witnesses. We also warned them about the shifters - that we had an alliance with them and to not be deterred by their presence on the field. 

When we reached Washington - just as Alice had foretold - there was snow on the ground. We run through La Push - unguarded since all the shifters were on the battlefield - Alice leading the way. I could smell dozens of unfamiliar scents all vampires; and of course the familiar stench of wet dog was almost welcome if not for the terror that loomed over all of us in that given moment. 

"Why don't you join us Alice?" I'd have never thought hearing Edward's voice would be so relieving. 

We were just barely through the tree line - two large groups of vampires on either side of the field with the Cullen's side also sporting over a dozen large wolves. 

"Alice!" Echoed through both sides - as everyone was taken off guard by her timely entrance. 

Alice lead the way almost dancing through the mist Alec was controlling on the field and to the safety of the shield that surrounded the Cullen's - who was that talented to maintain shield over the entire group of 30 individuals? 

Edward caught my eye and his eyes darted the Bella. If not for the gravity of the moment I would have reacted, but I maintained silence and composure as Jasper and I walked hand in hand followed by Kachiri who reunited with her Amazon sisters, and at last Huilen and Nahuel. 

Edward spoke again, "Alice has been searching for her own witnesses these last weeks, and she does not come back empty handed. Alice, why don't you introduce the guests you've brought?"

One of the Volturi leaders, Caius, grits his teeth, "The time for witnesses is past! Cast your vote, Aro!"

Aro raises a hand to silence his fellow leader, his eyes fixated on Alice - he almost looks relieved by her appearance. 

Alice speaks, "This is Huilen and her nephew, Nahuel."

"Speak Huilen," Aro commands. "Give us the witness you were brought to bear!"

"I am Huilen," Her voice is clear, we had rehearsed what she would say during our travels. "A century and a half ago, I lived with my people, the Mapuche. My sister was Pire. Our parents named her after the snow on the mountains because of her fair skin. And she was very beautiful. She came to me one day in secret and told me of the angel that found her in the woods, that visited her by night. I warned her... As if the bruises on her skin were not warning enough. I knew it was the Libishomen of our legends, but she would not listen. She was bewitched.