Withheld 1.4

I did not sleep at all the night before Alice was set to pick me up

My mind was racing, A sleepover with vampires. How do you prepare? What do you expect?

At 3am I received another text:

Alice: GO TO SLEEP. We aren't going to have any fun if you're tired. 

I actually snorted out loud partly from sleep deprived delirium. I rolled my eyes and closed my phone, but still was unable to sleep. 

The clock read 3:30am when I heard a tap on my bedroom window, and for a second I dismissed it as a branch or the wind until I saw the outline of a person and my heart dropped. 

A quiet voice, Jasper's voice, spoke, "Mary, it's just me." 

I put a hand up to my chest and sucked in a breath I wasn't aware that I was holding in before I slowly walked up to the window, cracking it open for the honey blonde vampire to come in. 

"Why are you here?" 

"Alice's orders. You need sleep." 

"Oh great my emotional support vampire is going to bore me to sleep," I respond sarcastically. "Alright where do we start? The big bang? The entire history of the universe? How old even are you?" 

Jasper chuckled, "Mary, go lay down." 

He turns out the lights, and now it's just me and a vampire in my dark bedroom. Great thinking, Alice, if I wasn't panicked before I'm just peaches now

I can feel Jasper's calming influence, he's sat a respectable distance away from me. My anxiety and delirium combined I accidentally ask out loud, "Shouldn't you want to kill me?" 

"Pardon?" 

"Like is my blood a problem for you? If Edward wanted to murder Bella, and nearly killed me, shouldn't the rest of you..."

"I..." Jasper took a moment to respond. "I'm aware of your... scent, if that's how we're going to describe blood to a vampire. It's like flavors of-"

"Ice cream?" 

"I suppose, and some vampires prefer certain scents to others just like humans and ice cream. Bella would be Edward's favorite, and so for him it is extremely difficult. And don't take offense to this, but your scent is more... neutral? It's not overwhelming, which for someone like me, is surprising."

"Why?" 

"That's a whole story maybe I'll share another night. I just have a less clean track record than my adopted siblings," He admits.

"You killed humans?" 

"Again, it's a long story better suited for another night... it's been a struggle for me over the years. With you it feels like I'm actually stronger than I think I am, so no, your scent doesn't bother me."