Point of No Return 1.8

Something was wrong

Something was wrong. Charlie and Bella arrived home together in the police cruiser and from the moment they stepped inside I could feel the tension. 

"Hey, dad, what's going on?" I ask sincerely, anticipating bad news.

"You remember Waylon Forge?"

"Kinda."

"There was an animal attack down by the quarry, we found his body this evening. Reports are coming in about big animal sightings, I don't want either of you girls out. Especially at night." 

I nod, "Yeah, of course. That's awful, hopefully you can... find whatever animal is doing these attacks." 

A silence falls between us - Bella inherited Charlie's quietness so neither of them have much more to add to the conversation. I feel the tickle in my throat rise again as I have another coughing fit. 

"I'm fine," I rasp. "It's nearly April *cough* I think it's just my allergies acting up."

Bella grabs a glass of water for me. 

"I don't like that sound of that, if you're like that next week I'm taking you to get that looked at."

I roll my eyes, "I'll live, dad, don't worry about me." 

~ ~ ~

Each of us eventually retreated to our rooms, however, I was not expecting Bella to come over to my room. Her soft knock - as to not alert Charlie down the hall - made me wonder how she had even got to the police station to meet up with Charlie. 

"Mary, can I come in?" 

"Sure." 

Bella stepped into my dimly lit room, "We need to talk... about the Cullens." 

I raised an eyebrow, "Where's this coming from? Didn't we talk about this earlier before Port Angeles? Did something happen? Did you run into them?" 

"Well... I did, um, go with Jess and Angela, but then I wanted to get a book so I went off on my own halfway through and we planned to meet up again for dinner-" 

"Bella you have tons of books, what was so special that you had to go off on a solo mission?"

Bella held up a small, worn book, "Quileute legends, they talk about all sorts of... mythical creatures."

"The reservation, again? Didn't Jake tell you all about those legends?"

Bella shrugged, "I did some of my own research. Anyway, I haven't gotten to go through the book yet, there was an... incident. Edward saved me."