Reunion 2.16

In all the worry about Bella's mortality I completely forgot about actually telling her I was not dead

Two nights after the family had spoken to Alice, Bella was in the house long after midnight. I had just gotten back from a hunt when I heard the unexpected human heartbeat and an extremely mouthwatering scent. 

Edward confronted me before I could step through the front door, and my mood immediately shifted. I actually hissed at him, such a strong involuntary reaction to seeing someone who had caused so much pain. 

Jasper was by my side instantly, wrapping his arms around me to prevent me from going after Edward or - forbid - even Bella. 

"I'm fine, Jazz," I try to make my voice sound calm even though I'm glaring at Edward.

 "What's going on, Edward?" I hear Bella's voice. 

"I won't hurt her," I say under my breath. "I can't promise the same for you." 

Jasper released me, but stayed right by my side in case I decided to make good on my word. 

Bella steps on to the porch and her eyes immediately land on me, "Mary?!" 

"Hi, Bella..." 

She makes an attempt to come closer, but Edward stops her halfway.

"Let me see, I can protect myself just fine," Bella resisted. 

Edward scoffed at that, but stepped out of the way.

Bella did not step closer, but she examined me for a few moments, "What happened to you?" 

~ ~ ~

We spent about 10 minutes recounting the tales of my first few months of vampirism, Victoria, reuniting with the Cullens... 

"... And that's why I didn't come to see you or let you know about me. I could have killed both you and dad." 

 Bella closed the gap between us and threw her arms around me. I immediately held my breath, my eyes anxiously shifting between Edward and Jasper who had tensed waiting for my reaction. Slowly I raised up one hand to very delicately tap her back. 

With my remaining air supply I got out a, "Hey, Bella, I'm still not that great with humans so..." 

Bella stepped back, her face flushed,  "Sorry!" 

The burn in my throat raged on, and a swallowed trying to push down the urge to attack my sister, "So why are you here at this late hour? I trust dad doesn't know you're out on the town especially after that impromptu Italy stunt."

"For a vote on who wants me to become a vampire since Edward is being so stubborn about it," Bella crossed her arms and shifted her gaze.

~ ~ ~

The entire family assembled in the dining room to hold our poll on Bella's mortality. 

So far we had 3 yes votes from Esme, Emmett, Alice; and 2 no votes from Edward and Rosalie.

"Jasper?" Bella asked.

"It would be nice to not want to kill you, so I vote yes."

"Mary?" 

I look around the room, pausing at Rosalie and Edward, "Initially, I would have said no for the same reasons as Rose, I think you should enjoy your human life for as long as you can and you shouldn't desire a frozen life like this if you have a choice. But I also agree with Jasper, I'd like to not want to drain you. And also for selfish reasons of not wanting to lose you when you inevitably grow old and pass on. So for all those reasons my vote is... yes." 

"Carlisle?"

Carlisle and Edward are having one of those conversations that rest of us are not privy to. Another downside of having him back, no privacy even in our own heads.

"Edward, I have no choice you've decided that you can not live without her. So my vote is also yes." 

Edward was angry after the meeting adjourned. 

I pulled Bella aside - well I was still being heavily supervised, but away from Edward - again to ask, "How had Charlie been since... you know?"

"He took it really hard, especially when he had to plan your funeral, but he says he has this gut feeling your still alive so I don't think he'll ever give up hope." 

"Is it bad part of me wishes he would?" 

Bella shook her head, "He's left your room untouched, if there is anything you'd want to grab."

I frowned, "I really can't risk it, plus I've made it nearly a year without any of my things. It might raise suspicions too if those things go missing." 

"I could always grab things like photos or irreplaceable things and cover for you," She offers. 

This is another instance where if I could form tears, I might, "I'd appreciate that, Bella." 

[End of Book 2]