Hospital 1.10

[Two weeks later]

[Two weeks later]

I didn't want to be here. I had no choice, when I started coughing up blood last night something changed in Jasper. He became distant. He called Carlisle to tell him to expect me and left soon after. I had to get Bella and Charlie to drive me to the hospital.

My phone was my only tether to the outside world. Bella texted me earlier telling me she was going over to the Cullens house for the first time today. Jasper also texted me... but I had not responded, I keep overthinking my words, I didn't want to worry him despite the fact that I knew Carlisle would tell him everything. So much for patient confidentiality... damn vampires. 

Jasper: How are you feeling?

I pick up my phone and stare at the message before sending a passive response:

Me: I'm sure Carlisle has updated you...

Jasper: I want to hear from you. I miss you so much. 

Me: I'm honestly in pain and I'm scared. I don't want to say goodbye. I just made friends, I just met you, Bella just came back. This sucks. 

Jasper: I need you to keep hope, we'll be together again. 

Me: I hope so... so less depressing topic, I heard Bella's visiting today?

Jasper: Yes, Rosalie is thrilled. 

Me: I'm sure. 

Jasper: We might play baseball tonight. 

Me: Two questions (1) Vampires like baseball? 

Jasper: Yes.

Me: (2) Bella is playing a sport???

Jasper: No, she would just watch, it's kind of hard to play baseball with vampires. We have a few unfair advantages. Plus some of us (Emmett) cheat. 

Me: Why am I not surprised? Also, if I get out of here, I'm inviting myself to your next baseball game. 

~ ~ ~ 

As the day progressed I felt like absolute shit. Carlisle came in several times throughout the morning and afternoon. It was now dark outside. 

Carlisle entered my room with a frown etched on his marble face, "Mary, I'm sorry there's-"

I don't want to hear it, "Doc, it's fine. I couldn't evade death forever." 

He shifts his weight, "You know there's a fairly successful treatment option." 

"I... I couldn't live like that... to see the ones I love die. Tell Jasper - tell the family, I'm sorry, I can't live like that," I suppress another cough. 

Carlisle nods, "It's your choice. You still have time, there's a storm tonight so I'll be off duty, but I will come back in the morning to ensure you're stable."

"Baseball, huh?" I give him a small smile.

"Jasper told you, I assume," He affirms. 

"See you in the morning doc." 

~ ~ ~ 

Carlisle never came. I texted Jasper, Alice, and Bella. No response. Not even from Bella. 

Three days passed and no contact from anyone except Charlie. Who just seemed on edge, I wonder if he finally realized I might die.

I am getting worse, the doctor taking over for Carlisle was trying the best he could, but he didn't have the 300 odd years of experience Carlisle had with medicine. 

I am drenched in sweat, constantly shaking, and it is a struggle to keep myself awake for any length of time. I think it was nighttime, since the lights inside are brighter than the window near my bed. My eyes are half open, hear the door to my room creak open, and then close behind which ever staff member has come to check on me. 

I feel a cool hand on my jaw. 

My eyes snap open just in time to see a flash of red hair before the person's the hand moves over my mouth and there is a searing burn in my throat. My screams are muffled by the hand and within seconds I succumb to the flames.