What Did I Miss? 2.13

I followed Sam wordlessly as we walked to the 'border' separating the vampires and werewolves

I followed Sam wordlessly as we walked to the 'border' separating the vampires and werewolves. Werewolves, this is absolute insanity.

Once we reach the border Sam runs through the rules of the treaty with me again. 

"I want to know about Bella... if she safe?" 

"I haven't heard anything otherwise since finding her." 

"How- where did you find her?" 

"In the middle of the woods, that bloodsucker boyfriend of hers left her unprotected." 

Edward, I made a vow to myself to hunt him down and knock some sense into him now that we were on an even playing field, "Obviously I'm going to keep my distance, can you or your pack keep an eye on her? Make sure... that red head doesn't do to her what she did to me?" 

Sam gave a short nod, "We've been doing that and plan to keep doing so until we kill that bloodsucker." 

"Thank you." 

~ ~ ~

With nowhere in particular to go, I made my way to the Cullen's house. A feat that was not too hard given the location of their home, on the outskirts of town away from nosy neighbors, buried in the woods. 

The house was clearly empty, all the cars gone; lights off. The front door was unlocked. 

I cautiously searched the house for any clues of the Cullen-Hales whereabouts. I made it as far as the kitchen when I encountered a note addressed to me along with a neatly folded pile of clothes: 

Mary,

I hope the first few months of your new life have been kind to you. We have not been successful finding you, in my visions your location is near impossible to pinpoint. We all miss you. 

We had to leave Forks. There was an incident at Bella's birthday party. She's okay. 

We can't return...  not yet, we promised Edward. Use the house to clean up, I left some clothes for you. There's a burner phone with my number in it. I'm sure you have a lot of questions call me. 

-Alice

I let out a sigh of relief I didn't realize I was holding. I look at the clothes Alice had left me, designer, typical Alice. 

I discard my grungy hospital gown in the garbage bin. 

The warm water of the shower is heaven; I furiously scrub the debris matted in my dark hair and skin. I just stand in the shower allowing it to run down my face, allowing me to replicate the sensation of tears streaming down my face.