The Lore of Pire, Nahuel and Huilen 4.37

"You are familiar with the incubus legends of vampires that impregnate humans-"

"How is this related to Carlisle?" 

"It's a long story-"

I interrupt Alice, "I'll give the abridged version. My sister was human when she met a member of our coven. They had sex and she got pregnant and miraculously survived - more so when she, herself, started drinking blood - and transitioned. Her child also survived, a baby girl that grows incredibly fast mentally and physically. She is neither vampire nor human. And the Volturi are coming because they falsely believe she is an immortal child." 

Kachiri gasps, "What is Carlisle doing? What about my sisters?"

"Gathering witnesses. Carlisle is not asking them to fight," Jasper replies. "Only to attest to the fact that Renesmee is not an immortal child - she grows, she had a heartbeat and blood running through her veins."

"Have you heard of anything remotely like that?" Alice presses. 

Kachiri nods slowly, "We encountered an odd pair while hunting - there was a vampire and something... that was no human, but also not a vampire. It was nearly as you described, a full grown man who was half human half vampire. It will be incredibly difficult to track them down."

"We're aware," Jasper grins grimly.

"We'll be using the blind spots in my visions to track them down." 

As I mull over the situation an idea comes to mind, "Wait... the human mothers, they don't survive, right?" Everyone looked at me oddly for the seemingly random comment. I continue, "What if I tried reaching out to pinpoint-"

"Mary," Jasper hisses realizing my train of thought.

"Jazz, if I can help at all. It might give us an idea of where to start, help Alice even. What do you think, Alice?" 

Both Kachiri and Alice were looking at me, thinking, before Alice grimaces rubbing her temples, "I still can't see anything clearly either way so I'm going to lean towards that not being life threatening." 

I stick my tongue out a Jasper. 

"You Cullens are a talented bunch," Kachiri looks at the three of us in awe. "No wonder the Volturi are on your heels." 

~ ~ ~

We stayed in the rainforest so that Alice could flip through visions and I could attempt to connect with any of the deceased mothers of these hybrid children. Kachiri stood still - everything soaking in - her eyes darting between Alice and I. While Jasper hovered near me as I focused - eyes close - on anyone who might be lingering. 

I had the added challenge of not knowing exactly who I was looking for on the other side so I  spent quite of a bit of time analyzing each spirit that I sensed. Until I finally came upon a beautiful woman who seemed to be the person I was unknowingly looking for; I had been at this so long my body physically chilled, Jasper's hand felt warm on my shoulder. 

My focused gaze caught his attention, but he remains silent as I assess the woman, "Don't be afraid, who are you?" 

"Me?" 

"Yes, I'm Mary. What is your name?"

"Pire... I'm dead, I've been dead for nearly two centuries, but my son he's-" She smiles. "He's still alive." 

"Pire," I repeat quietly. "Did you die giving birth to him?" 

She nods, "Yes... the father was... inhuman. I fled my home with my sister - my village had legends of such occurrences and I knew my parents and the people would turn on me. However, my pregnancy advanced far more swiftly and was much more painful than expected. I love my son, given everything. He was strong like the jungle cats so I named him Nahuel, the Mapuche's name for jaguar, before he ultimately tore his way out of my womb."

I gasp, "I am so sorry-"

She holds up a hand, "I've never held a grudge towards my son. His father abandoned me once he caught wind of my pregnancy. My sister, Huilen, is still alive and with my son..."

"She's- okay, wow, thank you, Pire." I can feel her fading and eventually my body thaws matching the temperature of Jasper's unmoving hand. 

Alice snaps her head up looking at me, "Mary?"

Jasper and Kachiri both look at me expectantly. 

"Not sure how much this will help with your blind spots Alice, but I think we have one vampire and hybrid that match Kachiri's sighting. And I have names... Nahuel is the son and Huilen is his aunt." 

"Anything else?" 

"She mentioned the Mapuche tribe, but I can't be sure if they would stay in the area." 

"It's a starting point," Jasper pecks my cheek affectionately. 

"Let's head south," Kachiri says.

~ ~ ~

Combined with the information I gathered from Pire, Kachiri's knowledge of the land, and Alice's blindspots we eventually got a better idea of where we could find the elusive Nahuel and Huilen. It seemed like they were aware of our presence - or at the vert least that we were trying to track them down - and were constantly on the move.

After nearly a week searching we finally encountered the pair on the outskirts of a small village. 

"Nahuel, Huilen?" Alice's bell voice rang out. 

The pair took a defense stance to the call, their eyes quickly scanning the four of us - wary of our intentions. 

"We mean no harm, we believe that you are the only ones who can help us," She continues. "I'm Alice. This is Kachiri - she is part of the Amazon coven just north of here. And this is Mary and Jasper who are part of Carlisle's coven in North America." 

"How do you know of us? How did you find us?" I am amazed and simultaneously relieved at how similar the boy is to Renesmee - his heart has that slow rhythm and I can smell the blood in his veins, but he is frozen looking no older than 20. 

"Legends - in part - there is not much time," Alice says quickly. "I can see... possibilities, glimpses of future decisions and the Volturi have come to slaughter my coven for the false accusation of creating an immortal child, who is really just like Nahuel - conceived by a vampire father and a human mother."

The two don't looked convinced. 

"Pire," I speak up. Their heads snap up to me wildly. I continue, "I can commune with the dead. Pire came to me no long after we arrived and gave some information to help us find you." 

"What did she say?" Huilen whispers, her red eyes looking at me curiously. 

"You are her sister, correct? She mentioned you left your village after she had realized she became pregnant... she said she bears no ill will towards Nahuel. And she knows you two are together."

"We will come, what do you need us to do?" Huilen asks. 

"We'll discuss on the way."

And with that we made our trip back to Washington - Alice told us it was going to be extremely close and so we traveled as fast as we could only hoping that we would not be too late.