Y as in You Nicknamed My Daughter- 4.33

Bella and Edward returned later in the evening

Bella and Edward returned later in the evening. Jacob standing in to test Bella's restraint before we let her get close to Renesmee. I'd tried to persuade the family that Renesmee's scent was not particularly appealing, and that Bella would never hurt her child. 

"Mary," Jasper shakes his head. "Even if she's relatively in control the bloodlust is all consuming for newborns - we have no idea how she'll react."

I huff, "I suppose, but I still think she's a lot stronger than we are giving her credit for." 

"Besides..." Jasper says lowly. "We have no idea how she'll react to the news."

My eyes widen, meeting his apprehensively. My attention is caught by Emmett's chuckle.

"Renesmee," Bella whispers - having passed Jacob's little test. She looks to Edward, "You'll help me?"

Edward nods. Jasper steps away from me; joined by Emmett to act fast in case Bella's mask of control slipped. Rosalie stepped towards us with Renesmee wide awake, in her arms grabbing impatiently for Bella.

Bella is awestruck, "I was out just two days?"

Bella took a small step forward and instantly Emmett and Jasper were shoulder to shoulder in front of her. The rest of the family seemed on edge.

I shook my head and Alice frowns with me,  "Oh give her some credit - she wasn't going to do anything; you'd want a closer look too." 

Bella nods and looks to Edward, "I'm okay, just keep close just in case."

"Jazz, Em, let us through, Bella's got this."

Jasper maintains his position, "Edward, the risk-"

Edward stood his ground, "Minimal. Listen, Jasper, on the hunt she caught the scent of some hikers who were in the wrong place at the wrong time."

Everyone tensed. Oh no. My eyes looked at Bella who simply looked confused. Had she not attacked the hikers?

"Edward, how could you be so irresponsible?" Carlisle reprimands.

"I made a huge mistake. The fact that you're stronger than anyone I've ever known doesn't change that." 

Alice rolls her eyes, "Tasteful joke, Edward." 

Edward shakes his head, "I wasn't making a joke. I was explaining to Jasper why I know Bella can handle this; it's not my fault everyone jumped to conclusions."

"Wait," Jasper demands. "She didn't hunt the humans?"

All eyes are on Bella. 

"What happened?" Carlisle asks.

"She started to and she was entirely focused on the hunt, but then she heard me behind her and reacted defensively. As soon as my pursuit broke into her concentration, she snapped right out of it. I've never seen anything to equal her. She realized at once what was happening, and then... she held her breath and ran away."