Chapter 14

But her blood ran cold when she saw who was standing there in blue suit....

Adrien.

He looked equally shocked as Emerson.

Why is he here? Shouldn't he be at is his own company? Who is the CEO?

Questions swirled in her mind and her look of shock changed in confusion and simultaneously, Adrien's look changed to anger.
His jaw was clenched tight and knucles turning white in his fists.
Everyone in the room was scared . He looked really scary.

He turned towards the other man and shouted angrily making everyone in the room jump.

"Haven't you worked here long enough Mr. Carl to know that only business, management and marketing students are allowed in the program and only seniors for Masters degree are allowed here. Check if everyone here is fit in the criteria. "

The man named Carl nodded frantically and both him and the lady started checking their files.

Emerson could now understand everything. SM stands for Stones Multinational and her husband's last name was Stone. His wealth was high but she didn't knew he was The CEO. She definitely respected the person and now she found out she was married to him.

Wow. After 2 weeks I find out who really my husband is. A celebrity.

But Emerson wondered what  caused his sudden outburst.
The lady came to check her file but kept it and gave her a stern look . After checking everyone's files, only Em's was kept by the lady.

She gave it to Adrien who checked the file and glared at her. He dropped the file on the table and spoke,

"Care to explain Ms. Leone, why in the name of God is a junior here? And though this file has University's stamp I want to see your department ID to confirm your course. "

Every single person held a look of pity and accusation for her.
She remembered telling his family and him she studies law.

Probably that's why he is angry . He must be thinking I lied.

She gave him her ID. Luckily, if students are pursuing different courses, they are given different IDs and roll numbers in different department.

He checked it.
"Ms Phenix please call NYU office and ask them why is a junior here. "

Ms Phenix directly called the uni from the room telephone and put it on speaker.

A lady received the call.
Emerson recognised her . She was a stoic secretary. She was always uptight but not bitchy.

"Good morning. This is NYU. How may I help you? " Her voice was stoic and cold but formal.

" Lyla Phenix speaking , HoD of HR department, Stones Multinational. Can we please know why was a junior chosen as candidate for our program which was necessarily ment for  seniors? "

Emerson's senior standing next to her muttered "probably fucked someone "
But Emerson heard it. Rumours about her were common in college and high school, but it didn't mean it never hurt. The pain increased each time but her ability to mask her emotions and smile through the pain also got better each day.
She gripped the edge of her arm chair tightly and looked down trying to swallow the tears away.

"Is it about Ms Leone? Emerson Leone? "
The same stoic voice asked without missing a beat.

"Yes."

"She was recommend in her freshman year too. But freshman year had an important academic project at the same time. That's why she wasn't selected. But this year it was ok with her schedule. She is better than any senior of any department. She is the pride of NYU. "
The lady stated but her tone softened a bit at the last statement. Every single person in the room was stunned except for her seniors. The senior girl next to her scoffed slightly.
Some girls glared at her in envy and some boys gazed in awe. But Emerson missed a gaze with longing in it.

She stared at floor with an adorable blush on her face.

"Ok thanks." And with that Ms Phenix hanged up the phone.

Adrien recovered from his shock and nodded , his face void of emotion but his jaw clenched.
He was about to say something but one of the candidates, a lanky boy with curly hair widened his eyes and blurted out in an accusing tone towards Emerson,
"Aren't you the last year Champion of Interstate essay for  Innovative Management and Marketing? "

Emerson was taken aback by his tone but she nodded politely.
He just scoffed in disbelief.

Adrien who was watching the exchange with interest banged his hand on the table snapping everyone out of their reverie.

"Enough time was wasted ready, let's start now. I am Adrien Stone, CEO of Stone Multinational. It's not arrogance in my attitude but this program is an once in lifetime opportunity which helped many students who are now works for Stone Multinational or some other company and I too, was once a part of this program, sitting there once where you are seated and my grandfather, Henry Stone was the one to stand here. This is my first year to conduct this session and I hope you will use it to your full advantage. Any doubts? "
Adrien's voice dripped with confidence and power. He had that aura around him which made prop bow in front of him.
Emerson like every other person was in awe of him. That's when she noticed their outfit matched and her cheeks tinged  pink.
Most of the other girls were just ogling and fantasizing about him.
The boys wanted to be him. They envied him.

When no one asked questions, Adrien started presentation on management and overview of business fundamentals.
Emerson heard each word carefully and made notes in her binder. Other girls were just trying to flash him to get his attention except a few. Not that they were succeeding.

After an hour and a half, Adrien concluded the session.
"So this is it for today, have your lunch break and then we will discuss on doubts till 3 then you are free. "
He dismissed them but sat in the room waiting for everyone to go out, trying to look busy scrolling on his phone.

Today's events completely took turn. He didn't expect Emerson to lie about her course when her real course had a grade A report in every aspect.
Her reports are too good to be true. But what would the scenario would be if Emerson entered this room last year. But then I wasn't the one to conduct the presentation.
He just wondered.
At first he thought Emerson would jump at the opportunity to act his wife but was confused when she didn't utter a single word to defend herself or embarrass him.
Why was she acting like she didn't know I would be here, like she didn't know who I was?
'Probably she didn't'
He scoffed internally.
She is definitely acting trying to get my attention.

From the corner of the eye he saw some girls giggling trying to get his attention but he paid no heed.
He wondered if they had dignity.
She didn't throw herself at me and her outfit to was decent. It's cool.
But then she noticed their outfit was almost matching and it made him feel fuzzy inside. But he shook it away.
Careful Adrien. She is just like other Leones.

He noticed the boy who 'accused' her of winning the competition, went to Emerson who finished packing hed things.
When she saw him she gave him a polite smile.
"I am Nick Darcy. From Manhattan Academy of Business and Relations. " He introduced himself proudly.
"Oh. I am Emerson Leone. From NYU. "

"Yeah . Now everyone knows."
Emerson looked down embarrassed.
"So how many people did you fuck for it. You knew someone from the Competition committee and now to get here even as a junior. But know that it would be impossible for you to score the intership. " He spoke harshly.
The few people left in the room included Adrien heard him and froze. Even though he disliked Emerson this insult was crossing line.
Emerson gasped and tears filled her eyes. Some girls snickered.
Before  Adrien could stand up for her, a boy jumped for her. He had blond hair and brown eyes.
"Leave it man. My cousin was the 3 rd runner up in the competition you are speaking about and she told me the winner's essay was worth the award. It was published for everyone to read on their official website. So suck it up . Just because you were second doesn't mean the first one cheated. And if you have any problem with her you can clear it with the committee or her university. And why don't you say this to other girls who were recommended here just because of their daddies. And it's not about her, you should know to be in your limits with everyone irrespective of their everything. Hope this gets in your thick skull. " He stated, his tone calm but stern.

Nick just stomped off but Adrien stopped him.
"There shouldn't be a next time or any chance you have at any comps will be vanished. This internship is far away. " Only Nick and Emerson heard  him.
He scurried away scared.