Chapter 43

Days went fast and even when Adrien and Emerson went on the hotel sites together, they both kept their distance and maintained a professional relationship. Too professional.

Emerson and Shan made some friends in the college with whom she talked sometime, just never hang out because of her work. Handling two jobs with 3 courses wasn't easy. The only privilege she had was she got some extra time due to her insomnia. She could sleep 3 hours straight, and she was thankful for it. She had learnt a long time ago to be happy in what she had.

And it was now 13 November, 7 am when she opened the door of her cabin for some fresh but cold air.
The weather was chilly, indicating the winter arrival.

She smiled to herself, enjoying the cool breeze on her face when her gaze fell on the package at her door.
She smiled and grabbed it.

The package was perfectly packed.
She carefully opened it to see some Christmas Roses tied with a ribbon which had note attached to it and one more box.
She unfolded the note.
My dearest Emmy, happy 24th birthday. Time flies fast, and it feels like it was just yesterday you were there, helping me with my grocery bags even if I didn't need it. You don't know how much you mean to me, honey. And I will always be there with you. Feliz cumpleaños querida. (Happy birthday dear)

Con amor
Rosaline.

Emerson smiled brightly.
"Happy birthday to me " She whispered.

She opened the next box to see it was a perfume bottle, imported from Mexico.
She sprayed a little on her wrist and inhaled it.

She made an online order of all Grandma Rose's favorite dishes in NYC for home delivery at her address and paid for it. She could atleast give Rose a feast even if she wasn't with her.
She sighed when she realised it was her first birthday without Grandpa Peter with her, and also without Rose with her from the past 6 years.

She knew she couldn't call Rose since she would still be sleeping due to time difference and so texted her a thankyou, deciding to call her later.

She changed her home clothes for new one, since it was her special day.

She wore a grey knitted woolen knee length dress with tights and boots, leaving her hair in braided style. She wore a coat on it, since the cold was too much  to go in just a dress.

When it was time she took her backpack and left for the University.

When she spotted her friends and approached them, Shan tackled her in a hug.
"Happy Birthday  Tomodachi. "
He wished her in his deep voice, which felt like music.

They pulled away .
"Thanks." She said smiling.

A dark skinned beauty named Quinn then hugged her.
"Happy birthday sunshine."

Emerson laughed and thanked her.

One girl and one boy, both blond haired and green eyed, being twins wished her in sync. Oliver and Olivia.
"Happy birthday."

She thanked them, her smile never fading.

Before they could talk more, her phone rang.
It was Henry.

"Hello Grandpa, good morning." She said in chirpy tone .
Henry laughed.
"Good morning sweets, happy birthday."

"Thanks Grandpa." She said in a polite tone, but you could hear smile in her tone.

"Well, you must be having your class now, but your gift would be on your step when you go home." He said.

"You didn't need to do that Grandpa. You calling me was enough." She said.