Chapter 21

Adrien and Emerson turned towards each other.
Adrien sighed and spoke, "You should have told me about it. "
Emerson took a deep breath and spoke, " It wasn't necessary. "

"It is. Things could have escalated. Your chance for internship eas at bay. "

Emerson just shrugged.

Adrien knew she is too stubborn to accept.

"I should go now, tomorrow's the big day. " Emerson said and Adrien nodded.

Emerson left the office but frustration and anger was bubbling inside her.
She wanted to snap at Adrien when he said that she should have told him.
'How could I when he started being civil with me only because I complimented his work too nicely. Even if all the things I said were true , it makes me feel like I buttered him up. '
She sighed and took a cab for a library. Even if she was kind and innocent for most aspects, it didn't mean she didn't feel anger, frustration, annoyance. She just didn't act on it, couldn't act on it.
What she didn't know when the thread of patience and kindness would snap.

Rest of the time she completed her ppt for the next day and did some other work. She went late at the mansion and had dinner at Rose's place and when Adrien came in the room, she ignored him and just did her work. But it wasn't like coldness was radiating from her, she was just Emersed in work like always.

But Adrien had other plans. He started conversation.
"What if you get the internship? " He directly asked.

She wasn't going to answer this question.
"You are CEO of the company and even if we are out of the office, it's inappropriate of you to ask and me to answer since you would be the one to make final decision of it. " Her voice still soft.

Adrien was caught off guard but nodded nonetheless.
She was indirectly saying that her answer could weaken his sense of judgment and he could be biased making decisions.
It annoyed him that she thought he was easy to budge and so he decided to give her a hard time tomorrow.

Next morning was same for Adrien , Emerson already gone with just a good morning sticky note. He got ready for office .

Emerson got wishes from Henry and Rose, even if Henry was going to be there with his son too.
She came back to the mansion to change in a formal wear.
She wore a nude coloured blazer on black jeans with black t shirt underneath. It looked formal enough for a ppt and casual enough to wear anywhere.
Her hair were tied in a bun today, her usual glasses replaced with rimless eyewear which gave her more formal look. She picked her black block heels from her wedding, took her bag and left for the office.

Only 13 candidates were present now since 12 were sent back yesterday, and so only 4 girls and 9 boys there.
'Less people, less headache'  Adrien thought.

Everyone arrived at the given time and were sitting in the conference room.
What no candidate knew that all the Stones were going to be present there.

The presentation started and it was a tough competition, even if they were told about it only 3 days prior,  the candidates were good in their work. They were asked questions about their ppt and one common question, "why do they want the internship? "

Emerson, like yesterday was kept for last.
Adrien couldn't deny she looked good, even sexy her hot business women vibe. Her usual adorable vibe was replaced with blank exterior with a pint of confidence but not arrogance.
She connected her pen drive to the projector and started her presentation.
Henry and Adrien even if already knew she was better than everyone, were still impressed.
The middle Stone was surprised to see her there. At first he thought it was Adrien's courtesy, even if it was impossible, so he started asking her questions regarding her topic which were easily answered by her. Henry too interrogated her but Adrien was extra hard.
Emerson could feel he was trying to press her buttons but she knew how to act cool and answer the questions easily.
The Stones were surprised with her direct and accurate answers and the other candidates were sweating knowing she had a full chance.

Nathan Stone's first thought about the girl to be his daughter in law was that if she is a Leone, she would be a spoiled brat, always acting like a bitch, money hungry, dumb in intellectual activities, and seducing anyone with money, which all were characters of Stephanie.
But in his office today, he was more than shocked to see her behavior. Even if she was polite at the dinner, he thought it was fake, but her presenting in front of them like she didn't have a relationship with them was shocking. Her professional vibe was strong.

When her presentation finished with answering all their questions so obviously her presentation went too longer than others.
When she finished, she was asked the common question, " Why do you want the internship? " Nathan asked.

"It is a good chance in a good company." She replied politely with a small smile.
Adrien wanted to correct her and say best company but he didn't and asked instead, "Why should we hire you or any other person as a fact? "

"It's a great chance for them in the aspect of their career and you can have the top 5 candidates for your company, which means best future employees to keep your company on top. It's more favourable for your profit. " She answered bluntly, but with a smile.

Nathan and Adrien were caught off guard. She got them right but they didn't expect her to make it look like their company was in need, not the other way.

Henry sighed, " Thank you Ms Leone, you may take your seat back. "
She nodded and obeyed.

It was already 4:00 pm now, and the candidates were told to wait for half an hour for the results.
Though they were given lunch break, Emerson didn't eat it in since she needed to complete a report from her job. So in the half hour, she used the rest room and ate a granola bar, a chocolate, and drank some juice she had with her.

At 4:30 , the Stones came back with Adrien's assistant holding 6 files of internship contract. 6 th one if one of the candidates can't join for any reason.

"So the program ends here and candidates chosen as interns will be declared, but remember, those who didn't get the chance have potential to improve, to progress.

The candidates chosen are -
Dave Williams
Emerson Leone
Mike Hart
Tia Jenkins
Zander Drakes.

Congratulations" Nathan stated.

The selected candidates cheered except Emerson of course. She just had a small smile on her face.
The candidates congratulated each other and only Dave bothered to greet Emerson.
"Congrats E, always had a feeling you would be chosen. " He stated in soft tone, a smile on his face.

"Same to you Dave. You deserved it." She gave him a bright smile.

Adrien was angered by the exchange.

So he decided to interfere.
"Ok . Enough of the cheering. Interns, read your contract and sign on it. If any doubts, ask away. " He said in a stoic tone. The 5 interns were passed the contract.
Emerson read it and noticed that the salary they would get was a little less than her job as accountant, but when employed permanently, it would increase drastically.
Their will be a good raise and environment, a good career chance but it doesn't mean I want it. For any other business related student, it would be opening the gates of heaven but I don't want it. I am satisfied with the job I already have even if the pay will be different. But what do I need the money for? Just because I am good in something doesn't mean I like doing it. Every decision for extra work and studies was for my own escape.
She weighed the pros and cons of taking the internship, knowing she would have to leave her current job.
After a long thinking, all the interns signed their contract and only Em was left, she made the decision.