The Reality of Command

INCREDIBLY SAD REQUEST FROM Chopper457 WHY MUST YOU MAKE ME DO THIS?!

"It's probably best for you not to see him like this. I'm sorry, Sir," Kix spoke softly. Anakin didn't miss the way his eyes flicked down to Ahsoka when he said 'you'.

Her lower lip was still trembling, her eyes still wide and unfocused with shock as she clutched Anakin's metal hand tightly against her chest.

Anakin cleared his throat, tilting his head the slightest bit down towards her before saying,

"I can make that decision... I'll go in first."

Kix nodded, stepping aside to let Anakin into the tiny room.

Ahsoka, who hadn't seemed to process what they were saying, refused to detach herself from her master as he stepped forward.

Anakin stopped, sighing softly. He closed his eyes before kneeling down in front of her. She released his hand as he gently cupped her cheek with the flesh one.

"Hey, Snips," he whispered, and she bowed her head to meet his eyes. "Is it alright if you stay out here with Kix for a few seconds while I go inside?"

She blinked twice before nodding, two tears sliding down her cheek which were swiftly wiped away with the thumb of a leather glove.

"That's my girl. I'll be right back, I promise." He stood up, guiding his Padawan over to Kix, who's eyes had been heavily focused on the floor before the girl stood by his side.

"Is Rex going to die?" she whispered, looking at the door that Anakin had just closed behind himself.

Kix sighed shakily, resting his hand on her shoulder.

Anakin knew what was happening the moment that he entered the room. His captain was fast asleep on a cot, hooked up to several beeping machines. His armor was black with dirt, and cracked across his stomach.

His breaths were short and quick, his chest shaking as if each one was taken with great difficulty. His head had been bandaged tightly from the shot, but dark blood still stained the white cloth.

Anakin let out a choked sob as he stepped forward to kneel beside the bed.

"Rex?" he said softly, laying a hand on his shoulder. "You've been the best friend I could ask for out there. I never... I never thought it would come to this."

The clone did not stir.

"Force, I'd better get Ahsoka in here before it happens," he sniffed, wiping at his eyes quickly to hide the moisture that seeped out of them before whispering,

"I killed him... the one who shot you. He's dead. I don't know if it's what you would've wanted, but it's what he deserved." He sniffed again. "It was an honor to serve by your side."

Anakin rose to his feet, sliding the door open quietly to see Ahsoka wrapped tightly in Kix's awkward embrace as she held tightly to his armor, tears rolling down her face. 

The moment she caught sight of her master, she bolted to his side, and he caught her in an embrace, shushing her while his own quiet tears fell off of his chin, and onto her montrals.

"It's gonna be okay," he whispered. "He isn't in any pain."

Ahsoka nodded against his chest, choking out the words, "I want to see him" between her cries.

Anakin stepped back, holding her shoulders in each of his hands before nodding his head and lifting one hand to pull open the door.

Kix had entered seconds before them, and was already at his brother's side, tapping buttons on one of the machines.

She ran to Rex's side the moment she was in there, her hand tentatively reaching down to hold his.

"Rex?" she hiccuped, squeezing her fingers tightly around his palm. "Rex, you have to wake up. You... you promised me you would teach me how to play Sakresh after we got home, and that you would let me tattoo," she hiccuped again, "my markings to your wrist, and... and..."

Her breaths quickly turned into hyperventilation as the pace of the beeping on the machines rapidly increased.

Anakin was there in an instant as Kix tried to pry her away from her friend, her shrieks and screams echoing through the room as she refused to let go.

"Ahsoka!" Anakin yelled, arms wrapping around her stomach, pulling her backwards. She punched his wrists, kicking wildly as he dragged her out of the room, instantly turning around and burying herself in his arms as the door closed behind them.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry," she cried, wheezing loudly into his shoulder. "I didn't mean to hurt you."

"It's okay, Snips, it's okay. I'm okay- you didn't hurt me," he reassured her over and over again as her tears seeped through the fabric of his robes.

"I don't want him to go," she breathed through tight lungs. Anakin attempted to steady his shaking breath as he squeezed his eyes shut, swallowing down his own tears.

He had nothing to say back to her- there was nothing he could say.

Nothing could make it better.

"Anakin, I want him back," she whispered, burying herself further into him as he squeezed her shoulders.

"I do too."

i'll have you all know that while i was writing this, the title of the chapter was "bye bye sexy rexy"

tfatws spoilers below 

BUCKY BARNES I LOVE YOU MORE THAN LIFE ITSELF HOLY ALDJFNOAEJNFO)AENFOAKSNNFLFFJOSNDWOFENJLKADN

HIS SASS IN THE THERAPY SESSION 

THE S M I L E WHEN HE COMPLETED STEP THREE

THE OLD MAN WHO'S NAME I CANT REMEMBER BEING HIS BEST FRIEND THE THING WITH HIS SON JUST- AKDJTNALALDJNFJOADNFJOAD F I CAAAAANT

I LOVE SAM AND HIS SISTER THEY HAVE SUCH A GREAT DYNAMIC (DID I MENTION IM A SUCKER FOR BROTHER SISTER RELATIONSHIPS OR WAS THIS BOOK NOT PROOF ENOUGH?)

I CANNOT WAIT FOR SAM AND BUCKY TO BE ON SCREEN TOGETHER AND BANTER AND ALSO I LOVE ALL THE NEW CHARACTERS- THE OLD MAN, THE THERAPIST, TORRES (THE NEW JIMMY WOO OWEJNFOAJENFE)- EXCEPT FOR THE GIRL BUCKY WENT ON A DATE WITH BECAUSE SHE B R O K E HIM AND CARL FREDRICKSEN (THAT IS THE ONLY NAME I WILL REFER TO HIM BY)

I. LOVE. IT.