↬ | chapter twenty one

021.

━━━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦ ━━━━━━

   Apparently, Maya had come up with some sort of plan to take Fox, Bellamy, and Maggie to stay in her home  for the night, just until they had some sort of plan worked out. It wasn't a bad idea for them, being as they were focused on retaliating on the kids— it was, however, bad for said friends.

   That being said though, just the idea alone of Maggie getting off her feet alone was comforting; the only time she wasn't on her feet was when she was crawling in the vents, which wasn't any better either. Bruises were undoubtedly beginning to form on her knees from the repetitive action of doing so, although that was not even in her mind at that given moment. 

   Feeling an impending anxiousness when it came to walking alone in the halls, the brunette made the ultimate decision to travel through the vents for as long as she possibly could. It had become the place she was most comfortable with. There was no doubt in her mind whatsoever that security was upping their game as more and more occurrences were happening in such a short period of time. 

   So perhaps the vents would take longer than what was ideal, but it felt safer than running the risk of bumping into a guard that'd question her. Maggie wasn't exactly in the mood to be drained of bone marrow just yet. 

   Eventually, she did have to get out of the vents, but she was exactly in the area she presumedly needed to be. Not many residents were passing by, given everything that had been going down. If Gray were them, she wouldn't go out of her room— risk getting exposed? Ab-sol-ute-ly notFinally rounding a corner on level six, her heart rate slowed from its rapid beating, to a normal pace as she saw Bellamy, Maya, and Fox heading towards their destination. What a relief. 

   "Bellamy," she lowly commented under her breath, speeding up and wrapping her arms around his torso without second thoughts.

   He returned the gesture, so unbelievably relieved to see the girl in one piece, even though it looked as though she had gone through hell and back. "Thank god," he said colorlessly, but the girl knew that was only because of his enervation. Her eyes clenched shut at the fulfilling feeling of Bellamy's head in the crook of her neck. He sucked in a breath before pulling away and getting a good look at her. Blood faintly stained her skin— she was able to use a wet washcloth from the mess hall to get a majority of it off, luckily. So, it no longer looked like she was in the middle of a bloodbath— just a small attack. 

   Magnolia then acknowledged Maya and gave her a hug as well. It was a miracle she had followed along with them all this time; risking her place in that mountain? 

   But that's what friends were for; and Maya knew that, even if nobody had ever come close to what Maggie brought to the table. Her compassion, wit, and determination made it difficult for someone to not like her, but Maya had never met someone in her own home that had those qualities among others. If the Gray teenager succeeded in her ultimate mission, it was invariably in the back of her mind that she might never cross paths with her again, but if that's what she wanted, Maya wanted that for her too. 

   Fox's cheekbones rose at seeing Maggie as well; if anyone were going to save them, she wouldn't of second-guessed she'd be the leader to do it. Many of the younger ones had come to idolize Magnolia, without her even taking notice. Now, Bellamy was a bit more unexpected, but not too out of character, of course. His people were just as much of an obligation for him, as they were for the brunette. "I'm glad you're here," Maggie admitted to the youngest of the group, who only had a lighter expression painted onto her face.