↬ | chapter one

001.

━━━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦ ━━━━━━

   Bright. 

   The light was so painfully bright.

   It seared her eyes and forced them to stay shut. She felt more tired, as well as confused, as a whole. 

   Next, there was a cold sensation against her face. Now that was what made the girl jolt, which was uncalled for by the one holding the freezing pack against her skin. That meant she had regained consciousness. 

   "Hey— you're okay. I'm not here to hurt you," a girl's muffled voice soothed her as her eyes still remained shut, but she had now been awoken. "I'm just icing your nose."

   "My wha—" Maggie Gray finally found it in herself to sit up fully, and the girl that had been speaking to her was finally revealed. 

   Not many of the mysterious girl's features were distinguishable; well, not really any at all. An aqua-blue shade hazmat suit protected her entire body, so the only thing the brunette could roughly estimate was her height. 

   "Wait," the IV in her arm made her eyes widen and catch her attention, along with the fluids that were flowing into it. 

   "Let me explain," she lifted the fabric from her head, revealing a young girl— one that couldn't be much younger or older than Magnolia herself. Her hair was shoulder-length and slightly frizzy, and her complexion was rather pale and almost ghostly, although it could've solely been from the lighting above. "You're not contaminated anymore so I don't really need this."

   What was she talking about? The hell? "Contaminated?" the word roughly rolled off her tongue. She wasn't infected or ill— besides the dull aching in her head and her toxic jeers, of course. So why the hazmat suit, acting as though a mostly-innocent eighteen-year-old was some sort of infectious, parasite-speciman-creature?

   "I'm Maya," the teenager finally had a name to put to her face. Grabbing a piece of gauze and tape as she spoke, the iv was pulled out of her patient's arm skillfully. "You're in Mount Weather, Maggie. We can't be around people who have been exposed to radiation— we'd die. So, you've been in quarantine. You have some injuries, like a broken nose, some facial lacerations. You're safe, I'm not a threat to you."

   Not until then did the events of the war with the Grounders finally seep back into Maggie's skull. More specifically, the pink smoke. The one that made all of her friends fall unconscious. How long ago was that? She'd of been lying if she said that hadn't been the best sleep of her entire lifetime. Whatever gases and fumes those smoke bombs contained, it made her sleep soundly. Like a rock, in fact. 

   "Am I the only one here?" she blurted out immediately, considering the fact that the others she was with took priority over herself. "And— how do you know my name?"

   Maya's lips curled into a smile. "Well, you're one of the leaders. You and Clarke. Your friends told me that. And, it's been just a day. Let me take you to your friends. I can find you some clothes— yours were really bloody and ripped," she let out a light chuckle, and Magnolia couldn't help but do the same. 

   The leader had so many questions left unanswered still, but one thing she was sure of; those two would become friends fast. This Maya girl felt connected to her for an unknown reason, but it was enough for her to feel comfortable cracking jokes within the first ten minutes of them meeting.