↬ | chapter fifteen

015.

━━━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦ ━━━━━━

When Maggie saw the younger Blake standing on the bridge the two groups were supposed to meet at, her suspicions were confirmed. She had been sneaking out to meet the Grounder they held captive; there were a few occasions where Octavia left the walls sneakily, but Magnolia didn't question it. Why would she? Maggie wasn't one to get into somebody's business; she hated when others did so to her.

"So that's how you set this up," Clarke turned from Finn to Octavia, staring at the girl with a coldness in her eye. "You helped him escape, didn't you?"

"Doesn't matter," Gray insisted— that should be the least of her worries. "They never came back."

"I trust him Clarke," Octavia added, not faltering once.

"There's a lot of that going around," she retorted, making eye contact with all three of her peers.

With her senses amplified, agile footsteps from the distance were easy to pick up on. "Someone's coming."

It was the Grounder that Bellamy and the others had tortured; Lincoln was his name. Most of his facial cuts had cleared up; the ones across his chest from the seatbelt certainly hadn't. Gray didn't have to see it to know. Him and Octavia met in the middle, crashing into each other's arms.

As his eyes met Clarke's, Magnolia noticed how Finn grabbed a hold of the girl's hand. She didn't need protecting, but whatever, Maggie pondered.

Gray's jaw dropped when she saw a few black horses emerge from the trees; it was neat. Not minding the circumstances, her mouth formed into a jubilant smile.

"Oh my god— horses!" Clarke exclaimed in a whisper as someone with war paint came through the middle, stopping to look at the teenagers. Maggie scanned over the men riding the outside two horses; they were carrying bow and arrows.

"Hey! We said no weapons!" Finn and Clarke jogged up to Lincoln and Octavia. Magnolia trailed behind slowly as her friends spoke a few more words to one another.

Finn marched forward confidently, only to be stopped by Lincoln's hand blocking his chest. "One of them goes alone," he clarified.

"Maggie—"

"You go," Maggie assured Clarke, "You got it."

"Clarke—" Finn seemed nervous for no apparent reason. She was walking ten steps away from him, not going into a Grounder village.

"I'll be fine. Hey— it's time to do better."

Both of the representatives slowly trotted up to one another, and Maggie found herself subconsciously chewing at skin on the inside of her cheeks. In all honesty, she trusted herself more than she trusted Clarke. Was that bad?

Everything the two were saying was inaudible, but Magnolia occasionally picked up on a word here or there: missiles, invaders, territory, torture, war

Yeah, it didn't sound the best, that was for sure. Gray's eyes flickered around, studying the trees as a precaution. If they didn't obey the simple rule of bringing no weapons, who knew that they didn't have more up their sleeves?

But instead of finding the Grounders hiding in the trees, her own friends were on the ground below them, with rifles pointed in the general area. Bellamy, Raven, and Jasper were all there.

There was only one logical explanation; Clarke told Bellamy about the meeting. That had to be it. Unless they followed them— but one of the three would've heard.