↬ | chapter three

003.

━━━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦ ━━━━━━

   "Miller!" a random voice shouted early in the morning, and, to be fair, Maggie was still cherishing the mattress she was lucky enough to sleep on as it was. But the boy's name made her jump out of her bed— she had been worried for him. It was a relief that he was finally there, standing on two feet with ease. 

   "Hey," the boy's hands dropped to his sides as he greeted Jasper, Clarke, and now Magnolia. He wore a light blue, long-sleeved button up, and he seemed to be in good health from the looks of it.  

   Clarke's legs dangled from the upper bunk. "Miller— I'm glad you're okay."

   "Yeah," he nodded, shifting his gaze towards Maya, who had escorted him to his friends in the first place. "It only took, what, three surgeries? I hear you're fitting right in," his jaw was locked, a look of scorn hazing over his features. 

   A beat of awkward, uneasy silence went by, until the medical assistant held out a small bottle of medication. "Twice a day. Don't forget. He'll be okay in a few days. Here," she handed him a duffle bag. 

   "Thanks," he took it, as Maya and Jasper began to walk away and talk on their own. 

   Maggie took the opportunity to hug her friend who had just been released, and he wrapped his arms around her in return. "Your face is fucked," Miller bluntly stated, making the girl pull away and smack his chest facetiously. 

   "Always wanted to slap you."

   "Is that all you got?" Miller raised a brow, knowing damn well she could've caved his face in if she had enough inspiration and will to do so. 

   A grin prodded at her lips in return, "You know it's not."

   In all seriousness, both of them were just relieved that the other made it out on the other end. 

   They had become friends a while before the war, but them both being gunners was what really bonded the pair. During the seemingly endless shifts, the two cracked jokes and made fun of their peers from one post to the other. Call it cruel, but it was overly enjoyable for the teenagers, especially standing in the cold weather, the wind blowing against their faces. Through that, they became close friends who cared for one another deeply, almost forming a sibling-like bond. They'd do anything for the other— that's just how it was. 

   "That's what we get for protecting the people," she countered. Her purple bruises were certainly still visible on her face and causing it to swell, but now, more yellowy tones had begun to protrude against her tanned skin. "Bet you got a nasty scar out of it."

   "Damn straight," Nate agreed without thinking twice, taking a seat on the cot and sighing in satisfaction at the quality of the mattress. 

   Suddenly, a loud, whirring alarm caused Magnolia to make eye contact with Clarke. The blonde hopped off the top, stopping Maya who seemed to be in a rush to get out of the room. "Hey, what's going on?"

   "That signal means a surface patrol is back, and someone needs medical attention. I have to go to quarantine," the words tumbled out of her mouth rapidly, seemingly in a rush to do her job.

   Without any sort of hesitation, Clarke started to follow, planning to get more information that supported hers and Maggie's case. However, Jasper knew she would do so, so he grabbed her forearm abruptly. "Hey Clarke. What are you doing?"