↬ | chapter thirteen

013.

━━━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦ ━━━━━━

   Walking back to camp was painfully difficult. And standing around as the Grounders prepared for his torment was even harder.

   It was sickening; the way everything had turned out, it seemed as if it was being treated as a ceremony, or a celebration. Thousands had come just to watch an eighteen-year-old boy get brutally murdered.

   However, at the same time— it being a celebration for many wasn't all that far-fetched. Watching the person who killed their friends and family ultimately was closure, as much as Maggie hated to admit that. 

   "What is that?" Raven questioned as multiple of the men set up a tree, wrapping ropes around it and preparing. 

   Knowing all too well, Clarke gulped. "It's for Finn. They want us to watch."

   Trying to hide his wavering voice, Bellamy attempted to remain optimistic, "We're gonna get him. We'll get in close, and we'll hit them hard."

   Maggie's gaze trailed to the grass as she attempted to clear her brain. Unlike the others, her hope for the spacewalker's happy ending had turned sour. It was a battle they wouldn't be able to win, let alone get Finn out of. His grave was made, and he had to lie in it. 

   "Son—" Marcus Kane's eyes were fixed on all of the torches lit below. "There's thousands of them. Even if we would kill hundreds, they'd still wipe out this camp and your friend would still die."

   His voice seeming increasingly nervous, Bellamy didn't budge. "We have to try."

   "Abby—" Raven snapped her head to the woman, "Abby, we have to do something."

   "No, Raven," the chancellor tilted her head to the side and whispered so quietly that Maggie wouldn't have even heard her if she wasn't standing in between her and Kane. Amongst the line of people, the three leaders managed to glare at one another at the same time. Clarke gestured for them to meet up with her to speak in private. 

   "Take this," the girl handed Bellamy her gun as they weaved in and out through people. "I'm gonna talk to the commander."

   "What else are you going to say—"

   "I don't know!" Clarke shot back, worked up because of the scenario. "I don't know."

   From behind them, Raven chimed in, "Give me your hand." Taking a quick scan around to make sure nobody was watching them, she slipped a small blade suavely into the sleeve of Clarke's coat. "If she won't let him go, kill her. Things will go crazy, and then we'll grab you and Finn. Clarke. You have to help him. I owe him my life."

   At a loss for words, she slightly nodded, but Maggie held the girl back once more. Lowering her voice so that not even Bellamy or Raven could hear, her breath hitched. "Clarke, you and I both know we can't do much more. If it comes down to it—"

   "I know." her lip quivered; both of them mutually understood the other without the actual statement being said. Clarke and Maggie were on the same page, as horrible as that page might've been. Neither of them needed to explain; they were in a dead silent, spoken agreement. "I know."

   Magnolia prayed that it wouldn't come to that. Soaking up every ounce of faith in her petite body like a sponge, she prayed that the commander would listen and be merciful. But negativity was overruling it; pessimism was taking over. Her positive outlook only went on for so long.