↬ | chapter two.

002.

━━━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦ ━━━━━━

   Jasper never even got to finish his chocolate cake; the three were rushing to the elevator as the obnoxious sound of alarms were going off all around them. Maya pressed on the button hurriedly, and Maggie ran a hand through her hair, which was no longer greasy somehow, and leaned against the side. "I hope she doesn't screw this up."

   "President Wallace wouldn't punish you all," Maya joined in, seeming as if she knew what she was talking about. "Not because of just one."

   As the doors opened, they ran through the corridors, hoping they were going the right way. Sure enough, as they made a right turn, there stood Clarke, attempting to twist open an exit. 

   "Clarke, no!" Jasper held his hand out, making the girl spin around herself sharply. "If you pull that level, these people will die.  Even a little radiation could kill them."

   The blonde's eyes met Maggie's chestnut ones, expecting her to say something, siding with her. Instead, her brown eyes sent a knowing look in return, in hopes of Clarke picking up on it. She couldn't tell if it worked or not. 

    Her lips quivered as Maya pointed a rifle her way. Whether she knew how to use it or not was unknown, but Magnolia wasn't exactly itching to find out. "Don't make me shoot you."

   "Wait, wait," Jasper finally held his hands up innocently as him and Magnolia walked towards the girl slowly. "Clarke— don't do this."

   With tears in her eyes, she shook her head. "I don't believe them."

   "Why would they lie?" Jasper shot back, his usual positive outlook shining through. "Listen to me. We are safe here. Because of you, and Maggie, and Bellamy, we're safe."

   "Not all of us," she responded, tears forming in her eyes. Magnolia and Jasper shared a look of sadness, not knowing if everyone that hadn't made it into Mount Weather was safe. 

   "I'm the one who fired the rockets. Should I not have done that? Clarke— when you and Maggie pulled that lever you saved lives. Don't throw that away by pulling this one."

   Her eyes trailed to Maggie, looking for some kind of assurance, mostly because her opinion was usually a bit more logical and practical. Not to mention, it was usually what ended up being right. 

   Tears brimmed the bottom of her eyes as well, wetting her lower lash line at the thought of all of her friends— her family. A small nod made Clarke lower her hand from the door, just in time for the guards to swarm in, holding her at gunpoint. 

   "There she is! Hold it right there. Hands up!" one of them shouted, grabbing Clarke and forcing her to the concrete floor harshly. "Get down!" they added, securing a pair of handcuffs on her wrists. 

△▽△

   Maggie had spent a while talking and playing checkers with Maya following the incident beforehand. Correction— Maya was pretty much teaching her how to play; the girl had no clue until she learned. 

   "Do you have any siblings?" she mindlessly inquired, asking the sky girl everything imaginable. 

   Those questions made Magnolia think back to her time on the Ark. All of it seemed like such a distant memory, but at the same time, she could still remember little things, like the constant goosebumps she had gotten used to because the sky box was always frigidly cold.