↬ | chapter twenty-four

024.

━━━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦ ━━━━━━

   When it came to sneaking back into Mount Weather after she had successfully escaped, Maggie believed that she was in well-enough shape, and could get it done on her own. Even if it came to nobody being alive, and her getting back in there on her own, which fortunately was not the case, she thought that every aspect of that was something that she could handle.

   But communicating with Raven in her ear, she truly realized how much that wasn't the case.

   If the Reyes girl wasn't there on the other end, they surely would've blown up that entire establishment.

   "Okay, uh.... level indicator," Bellamy stated— they were having absolutely zero luck, and it was getting a bit old, not to mention discouraging.

   "No."

   "Do you see an 'actuator' anywhere?" Raven interrogated, in hopes of steering the duo in the right direction.

   Looking to his girlfriend, who gave nothing but a dull shrug in return, Bellamy replied, "Neither of us have any idea of what that is."

   Maggie knew that they were pissing off Raven and Wick, but what else were they to do? They were going through the entire machine's front page, saying every single option that was available to them.

   "Come on, what else?" Wick prodded.

   "Internal pressure sensor."

   "No."

   "Set point and alarm."

   "Lets avoid that one."

   "Maintenance and cleaning." A brief pause on the other end. That had to be something good, correct?

   "Okay, go to that subdirectory... see if there's anything there that says passivation." Finally, they were getting somewhere. Maggie used the pad of her index finger to select that button, and another list of options popped up underneath. Her eyes going down the line, they widened at the word Wick had stated.

   "Bingo," Gray informed, "Okay— it says 'Aqueous sodium hydroxide bath.' That right?"

   "Yes, Gray"

   "Wick!" they could hear Raven exclaim on the other end, having heard Wick call Maggie by her last name, which could possibly lead to her identity being discovered.

   "What's the difference, right Gray? As you said, they know you two are there now," the man defended himself, "Anyway, yes. That's a base. That'll neutralize the acid, select that."

   Bellamy pressed on the proceed button, making a small circle turn on the screen, as well as one of the machines behind them start to whirr. "It's doing something."

   "Wow," Maggie deadpanned, downright amazed at Bellamy Blakes way of words.

   "You should be able to hear the pump," Raven mentioned, to which they told her they did.

   "Needle's moving," Magnolia noted, "The pH is rising, it seems."

   "It's working."

   After a solid ten seconds of the needle slowly rising in number, it finally hit the middle, at number seven. When the words 'Passivation Successful' illuminated on the screen, Maggie went to take one of Bellamy's hands in her own. Instead, however, he put his arms around her waist and embraced her tightly, even so much so that her feet rose of the ground. He placed a gentle kiss on the girl's forehead, making her laugh giddily. They did it!