↬ | chapter nine

009.

━━━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦ ━━━━━

   It hadn't been Maggie's plan to use a car as a safe place, but in no way was she complaining whatsoever. Bellamy and Octavia shared a seat as the older of the two tried to calm his younger sister down, but he seemed just as distressed. 

   On the other hand, the brown-eyed girl was fascinated; she was lucky enough to be in the driver's seat of the vehicle. Sure, a thick coat of dust made her sneeze and rub at her nose here and there, but that was besides the point. Searching the storage components, Magnolia soon stumbled upon a keyring. One of them fit inside, and she turned the ignition out of temptation. "Oh," a frown made its way to her lips when nothing happened, and the car remained entirely still and silent. 

   Bellamy watched as she was examining the car; it was evident in her eyes alone that she was loving every second of it. That wasn't even counting the wide grin she had practically from ear to ear. For the record, it did make his mood a tad bit better. "Maybe Raven could get one of these working once this is all over," he suggested, amusement in his tone. "And you can ride in one of these things for the first time."

   "Wouldn't be my first time," Maggie countered, tracing simple designs into the dust on the dash. Both of them eyed her suspiciously, waiting for an explanation— it wasn't like there were automobiles up on the Ark. "What? Not that I remember it, I was gassed." The other two shook their heads bewilderedly, still not catching on. "I'm sure they brought us to Mount Weather in a couple of these things."

   Their eyes widened; neither of them had even considered that as an option. "I never thought of that."

   Magnolia's eyes twinkled as they met her friends again. "Would kill to actually ride in it though. As soon as we get our friends out, I'll steal one of these babies for sure."

   As much as Bellamy would've loved to have her keep rambling on and on joyfully, he shushed the two. Before Maggie got the chance to figure out what he was quieting her for, the loud grunt from just outside the car startled her. There stood Lincoln; it appeared as if he were staring at them through the driver's window, but he wasn't doing anything about it. Could he not see them?

   "Can he see us?" Octavia stayed as still as possible (Bellamy and Maggie did too), as her breaths were audibly stressed. 

   The oldest held onto his younger sister's shoulders with a tight grip. "I don't know." He couldn't do all that much to reassure her given the circumstances. 

   Maggie watched Lincoln's slight movements, peering into the automobile. If looks could kill, they all would've been six feet under by that point. Realistically, he was only a mere foot, at most, away from her. She noticed his gargled, strained noises that were let out as blood rimmed his lips. With a growl and a thud, his fist made contact against the window, smearing it with his hand. Maggie jumped at the sudden noise, hitting her head against the back of the seat. 

   As he eventually wandered away, everyone in the car let out a sharp breath of relief, sending glances each other's way. Octavia's eyes watered as her chest rose and lowered quickly, causing Magnolia to rest a comforting hand on her best friend's knee. "Shh, shh, shh. Just listen to me. We'll get him back," Bellamy shot the girl across from him a glare, and she nodded in agreement. "Promise."