↬ | chapter two

002.

━━━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦ ━━━━━━

   All of the delinquents ran around like a bunch of wild monkeys— Earth seemed incredible already. 

   But Maggie on the other hand— she had intentions of going off on her own. These teenagers were mostly all strangers to her; besides, she didn't want to rely on anyone but herself. She couldn't trust anyone but herself. 

   "Hey, where you going?" a male's deep voice called out to the girl as his feet crunched on the soil. 

   Magnolia didn't even take a second to identify the face to whoever she was talking to— she needed a food source, as she had already been getting hungry. "Away from here— alone."

   Instead of leaving her alone, the mystery boy caught up to her and gently grabbed Maggie's shoulder, stopping her in her tracks. Magnolia was quick to shrug off his grasp before turning around, revealing the same boy that she made eye contact with earlier, the one with gelled hair and freckles— Bellamy. 

   "Bellamy," he held out a hand introducing himself awkwardly, as if she wasn't already aware of who he was. However, Magnolia shook it firmly, catching the boy off guard. 

   "Maggie," the girl said with a fake smile as she let her hand drop. It swung back and forth as she turned on her heels to continue walking. Bellamy trudged beside her— this guy wasn't gonna be easy to get rid of. 

   "Okay Mags," he created a nickname— Magnolia didn't really care either way what he called her. "Why'd you defend my sister back there in the drop ship? And why are you going off alone?"

   "Well, those teenagers are a bit overbearing, don't ya think?" Maggie sighed, hopping childishly over a tree root. "You don't want to waste your time with me, I promise."

   Bellamy couldn't help but be intrigued by this girl. She seemed different— maybe someone with a logical head attached to her neck. But one thing that stuck out to him— she was stunning. "What'd they throw a privileged girl like you in a cell for?"

   "Unless something changed in the past three years and Walden station is now considered privileged, then I don't have an answer for you. What lead you to that assumption?"

   "Maybe I'm just one to judge by looks," a small smile crept in the corner of his mouth as he eyed the girl up and down, but Maggie was completely oblivious to the blatant gesture of interest he was trying to give off. "But really? Was it vandalism, or—"

   "Magnolia Gray. Ring a bell?" Maggie tried again, wondering if that would be enough to get him to go away. Bellamy's pupils grew— he knew of the girl who attempted murder, but this was her? "Theft and attempted murder," she gulped, confirming. "They'll only see me as that. And I can see you do too now. Now— is that a good enough reason to let me off the hook and leave?"

  "Mags, I can assure you that most of them don't care. We've all got our skeletons in the closet, me included."

   Magnolia continued to walk, not paying any mind to Bellamy Blake. She couldn't give in; she was better off on her own. If the girl couldn't ignore one person, how would she make it by herself?

   "Wait!" he grabbed her right wrist, just now taking notice to the dried blood on it from the metal bracelet that the hundred were given. "I'm sure we're gonna need you back there. We have no clue what's out there; you might not be able to survive."