↬ | chapter eighteen

018.

━━━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦ ━━━━━━ 

   Finding the source of the acid fog had proven itself to be a task and a half, much like they had executively determined earlier on. Surely, having access and a map of the vent system would benefit them much more— hopefully, it'd give them the exact pinpointed location as to where the fog was. To the two 'guards,' it felt as though they had been wandering the same halls aimlessly for decades. 

   Besides searching for the fog, Magnolia found herself in a state of silently comparing— playing a single-player game: the Ark, or Mount Weather? Each of them had their assets, sure, but they could each get floated in her opinion— those were her words of wisdom for that matter. Where the hell was the woodsy fragrance that she had come so attached to? 

   "Do you have any idea what time it is?" Maggie muttered in annoyance; without the sky being there as a guide, neither of them had any concept as to whether it was dark or light out. Admittedly so, her and Bellamy were enervated as it was; they couldn't even fathom how many hours it had been since they slept, or ate, or anything for that matter. Maggie never thought she'd live to a day where she was thinking: 'I'd kill to be in my tent right now.'

   Shaking his head, Bellamy signaled that he had no inkling as for her question, "I really couldn't tell you— not even an estimate. Should we look for—"

   "Guys," Maya suddenly came up from behind them, almost as if she was on cue and waiting for the perfect moment to make her presence known. As both of their gazes travelled, they noticed her bag in hand, seemingly filled with all sorts of useful supplies. "We gotta get to the radio— it's been well over three hours."

   Harshly rubbing at her sleepy eyelids, Maggie nodded in accordance. Speed walking, the three ventured through level five and into the art warehouse. Following the procedure, similar to earlier on, Maya scooted the painting over from the hole in the wall, revealing their only source of communication with anyone from outside the mountain. 

   "Work Station, do you read me?" Bellamy spoke into the device, awaiting a response from someone, preferably Raven. She wouldn't be as much of a stickler if they weren't on time. "Anybody there?" 

   "You two are late. Every three hours means every three hours," Clarke reproached in response, causing Maggie to roll her eyes at her scolding. 

   "Are you through?" Bellamy half-joked, knowing they didn't have time for the pointless bickering. 

   "Have you found the source of the acid fog?" the blonde inquired, and all three of them eyed one another, knowing that she wouldn't be happy with their status on that at the current moment. 

   His forehead creasing at just the thought, Bellamy pressed his lips into a straight line. "No— that's gonna have to wait."

   "What? No!" Clarke's tone hardened, her aggravation rising higher than it already was. "Nothing is more important than that."

   Adjusting the positioning of his cap, the freckled Blake held the radio up to Maggie's mouth, giving her the opportunity to talk. "Clarke— our friends are. They've started taking them from the dorm. One at a time, every few hours."

   Raven's voice cut into the conversation, "Taking them where?" 

   "I don't know," Bellamy glared at Magnolia, who seemed to have a vague idea in her mind. Whatever it was— it was, in no way, good. "We tried to follow them, but they went to a classified level. Maya borrowed the schematic of the vent system from her boss, and we're still trying to find a way in."