↬ | chapter seventeen

017.

━━━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦ ━━━━━━ 

   The three of them walked through the corridors, venturing towards the elevator to go to level five, housing both the delinquents and the radio were. Up until then, Maggie had never ever stepped foot on level two from what she could remember, but level five was a walk in the park. 

   "There are 382 people inside of this mountain. If any of them realize you two aren't one of us, you're dead," Maya disclosed seriously, making each of them silent for the time being. 

   "Cool. That's real comforting, Maya," sarcastically retorting, Maggie had been well aware that the odds weren't in their favor. 

   The Vie girl quickly swiped her keycard, the familiar ding allowing her to press the button. "I try my best," she shot Maggie a mocking grin, "We're on level two. The dorm's on five. There's a camera in the upper right-hand corner. Keep your head down. Maggie— act like you're my friend."

   A joking scoff being let out, the brunette placed an offended hand on her chest in a sense of fake hurt. "I thought we already were."

   "You know what I mean," Maya glared, a silent threat as a way of telling her to quit the foolishness. Quite frankly, it wasn't the time for it. Scurrying towards the back, they stood. 

   "Hold the elevator!" a man's hand slipped through the thin crack, causing the set of doors to reopen automatically. Nonchalantly strolling in, the man wore a fancy suit. Nothing strange going on within that elevator, whatsoever— totally. Shit. "Hey Maya, I missed you in my Expressionist class," he spoke, paying no mind to Maggie or Bellamy (what a relief! )

   Crossing her arms, the girl shrugged. "Yeah I— I had some work to do."

   Leaning back, the teacher lowered his tone, "I'll get you the notes." 

   When Maggie's eyes met Bellamy's, she lowered her gaze to see how his hand was hovering over the gun in his pocket. Knowing that it was nowhere near necessary, she slowly shook her head in disapproval. "No," she mouthed. As a result, the boy tipped his cap down further so that he wouldn't be distinguishable.

   More people swarmed in at their second stop, and all three of them mentally prayed that nobody would take too close of a look to realize that Bellamy didn't even have a nametag on his uniform. Plunging down— down they went, until they reached their desired destination. Sharing a small nod, they began to exit the elevator, happy to get away from those people. 

   "Hey, you're bleeding," suit-man noted, gesturing his hand to Bellamy's neck. "Are you okay?"

   "He's right. What do we do now, Maya?" Maggie, thinking quick on her feet, chose to play the part of a trainee, learning and following Maya around. And by the girl's eyes widening, she hoped that Maya'd understand the prompt and tag along. 

   "You're exposed," Maya informed the 'guard,' "We need to retrace his steps and find the breach," she explained to Magnolia, stepping back into the small space. The frizzy brunette swiftly swiped a silky handkerchief from the man's suit jacket, pressing it to Bellamy's neck. "You better go."

   "What about you— and her?" the man's eyes darted briefly to Maggie, who straightened up at the mention. 

   "No worries," Maya nodded, signaling that it was alright for him to go. "We'll be fine."