↬ | chapter twenty-six

026.

━━━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦ ━━━━━━

After walking into the harvest chamber, Maggie didn't know what to do. The oxygen that she was breathing suddenly felt poisonous, and she believed she couldn't get enough air into her lungs. Breaths labored, her chest felt like it was closing in on her.

Seriously speaking, she wondered how much more she could take. Okay, maybe not her in particular, but everyone, as a whole.

Vincent was dead.

Just like that.

Maya's guttural screams and sobs were a painful reminder of that. They rang in Maggie's ears torturously as she looked at all the empty cages. Not a soul was in sight, besides the renegades that were all mourning over the death of one of their biggest allies. If anyone deserved to be shot square in the head, Vincent was at the very bottom of that list.

Maggie promised him that he'd live to see the ground. In the back of her head, she knew that putting her eggs in too many baskets would come to bite her in the ass, and it sure did.

She wanted everyone that caused this to die. Zero questions asked.

It took absolutely everything for Maggie to put on a strong facade, and not crumble on the floor into a heaping mess of tears and tangled limbs. None of the others could see her like that; someone had to be the strong one out of the group, and it was a silent agreement that it was her and Bellamy.

The urge to give up was ever-so-prominent, but she had to convince herself she wasn't in the right mind space.

"We need to stop them," voice stone-cold, Magnolia stood beside the Blake, who's expression was blank. He wasn't answering her; he was speechless. And Bellamy Blake was rarely speechless, "Please Bell," she begged him in a soft tone, doing everything in her power to not let a tear fall, "Just say something— to let me know you're still with me."

"You know I am," he finally looked down at her, collecting his thoughts after a minute of silence. In synchronicity, the two glanced back at the fresh pool of blood on the floor and Maya's head buried into her father's chest. Jasper had a hand placed on her back, running up and down, but nothing was enough to console the girl from the tragedy that she had just faced.

Maggie didn't know how to solace others. Plain and simple. Hell, she couldn't even get herself under control; her peers was a whole other level.

Nevertheless, she went over to the Vie girl, and did everything in her power to be there for her, despite the gloomy thought of knowing that there wasn't much time left for them to waste.

△▽△

At least they still had the other army, that Clarke had taken a lot of time and effort to gather together. Imaginably, some would be in the reaper tunnels, so going to the intake door was their next course of action.

They passed by a room that Maggie was hesitant to admit she had recognized. Seeing all the shackles in place made her shoulders rise, and her head roll around uncomfortably so she could crack her neck. Bellamy really didn't seem all that enthused about it either; he went through the sickly decontamination procedures as well, after all.

"What's that?" Jasper questioned as they passed through the area, quick as possible. Safe to say, Bellamy and Maggie didn't want to be in there a second longer than necessary.