↬ | chapter twenty-two

022.

━━━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦ ━━━━━━

All along, Maggie was right.

But is that really surprising at this point?

Drew's lifeless, impaled body that was a foot away from their feet was proof of that.

The teenagers went from marching to sprinting— before somebody else was killed before their eyes. Magnolia hopped up a few feet away from Jasper so she could look through the scope of her gun to find any Grounders. But there were none to be seen.

"Where are they? Why aren't they attacking?" Gray heard Bellamy mutter not too far away to Clarke. God— if they weren't in such a dire circumstance at the moment, the brunette would be sure to make it known that she had been right. It was frustrating.

Chatter was heightening amongst the group, making Maggie grow agitated. They were standing around doing nothing— the least they could do was not be distracting.

"Lincoln said the scouts would be the first to arrive," a girl's voice spoke towards Magnolia's left, but she kept her eyes focused on the woods in front of her.

Octavia added in, "If it's just scouts, we can fight our way out. That's what Lincoln would do."

"Key word— scouts. Grounders that have tons of training under their belt. All they have to do is throw something from a distance, and it's an easy kill," Magnolia noted as she still lacked eye contact with the others, remembering how precise the weapon had been thrown, square into Drew's face from far away.

Bellamy hopped down from the platform. "We're done doing what that Grounder would do. Mags is right— we tried it, and now Drew's dead. You wanna be next?"

Finn's eyes glanced between Bellamy and Maggie, who now had her focus on the conversation at hand. "That Grounder saved our lives. I agree with Octavia. For all we know, there's one scout out there."

Jasper's head spun around nervously, "One scout with insanely good aim."

Exactly.

"Clarke, we can still do this!" Octavia proposed.

"Looking to you to break the tie, Princess. What's it gonna be? Run and get picked off out in the open, or stand and fight back?" Bellamy questioned, and by the way he worded it, the answer seemed obvious.

She contemplated the thought— was her plan truly the right one? "Looks like you've got your fight," Griffin finally settled, although Finn still didn't seem bold over with the idea.

Maggie understood— he wanted to be the peacemaker, to hurt the least amount of people possible. Usually, she'd agree. But there was no denying that they were going through war; in war, people die. That's what they learned in school back up on the Ark. However, she couldn't turn down the fact that her mouth turned upward into a grin at the fact Clarke realized they had been right. 

"Okay then. This is what we've been preparing for!" Bellamy's voice rose, it still seeming raspy and strained— because of Murphy. "Kill them before they kill us! Gunners, to your posts! Use the tunnels to get in and out! From now on, the gate stays closed!"

Maggie followed after Miller, making her way to her assigned foxhole.

Now was the time to prove herself. To prove that the gun she was given was not a waste. It was a gamble on Bellamy's part— giving her the weapon when the only time she had ever shot it was in the emergency depot. No training whatsoever. Hopefully she was ready.