↬ | chapter eighteen

018.

━━━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦ ━━━━━━

   Magnolia and another boy looped Bellamy's arms around their bodies, hauling him into the drop ship. 

   "Clear some space. Lay him down!" Octavia quickly rushed over, concern notably painted across her features. After his initial contact with the floor, blood filled up in his mouth, making his younger sister and Maggie push him to his side. The younger of the two firmly punched his back as he gasped for air. 

   When he returned to his position on his back, they each noticed how tears were forming in his eyes, and he appeared almost as if he had seen a ghost. "Hey big brother," Octavia whispered, wiping his face with a damp cloth to clean him up. 

   "I'll leave you two?" Maggie questioned to her close friend, and she let out a nod signaling that she had him covered. "Feel better, Bellamy," she squeezed his hand as more tears ran down his temple uncontrollably. 

   Many of those who were sick seemed to be alright for the time being, so Magnolia decided to double check with Jasper, making sure he was positive he wanted to take the shot. The boy wanted to come back a hero, but it was noticeable how he lacked self-confidence. 

   Besides, if Maggie missed the bomb, she could handle the embarrassment, along with getting kicked out of camp by Bellamy. Jasper, however— he had already been through so much. Too much for that matter, especially for his age. Saying she didn't trust him to make it was a lie, but with his wariness of the Grounders from getting speared, it made him anxious. Rightfully so.

   After all, that was the turning point that lead them to war anyway. 

   Very few were at work, due to a majority of the delinquents being in the drop ship, infected by the biological warfare. She made her way to Raven's tent, which had been converted to a workspace for the time being. Before getting the chance to march inside, Finn hurried out of it, appearing bothered by something. 

   "What— Finn, what?" Maggie jogged alongside him as he ran a hand through the greasy strands of hair. 

   "Raven went off on her own," the boy halted, crouching down to tighten his shoelaces. "Jasper, let's go!"

   "Oh—  yeah that's bad. You need me to come with? You know, in case Jasper—"

   Finn's eyes darted back to the short girl's scarred face. "Do you not trust him?"

   "No, I do," Magnolia countered, shutting down Finn's question instantly, "I just don't want him to feel forced; like he has to do this."

   "Appreciate the concern, Gray. But I got this," Jasper suddenly emerged, carrying his rifle in hand.

   "Okay," the girl grinned, trying to bring herself to a state of sureness, making herself feel more sanguine. He's got it. She brought her arms around his slim body, holding her friend close as a way of assuring him. Before pulling away and leaving the two off, she pressed a gentle kiss to his cheek. 

   "Alright, now I really feel like I got this," a laugh passed by the boy's chapped lips, making the other two chuckle as well. "Bring her back in one piece for me?" Maggie turned to Finn as she referred to Raven. He nodded, giving her faith and leading the girl's tense shoulders to lower.