↬ | chapter twenty-three

023.

━━━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦ ━━━━━━

   The moment that the duo stepped into the warehouse-like area, they instantly began their search— given, it wasn't like the two of them truly knew what is was they were looking for. Neither Bellamy nor Maggie had mechanic-related abilities under their belts— they were novices, essentially, and it would've eliminated a multitude of their problems if Raven was able to see what they were. They could've been looking at a machine like it was nothing but a hunk of junk, but the ZERO-G whiz might've been able to decode their system with ease.

   A door up ahead labeled 'RESTRICTED' caught the young girl's eye. If it was restricted, after all, then that meant they more than likely wanted to be in there. "Let's try there."

   With a nod, the Blake approached it, slipping Lovejoy's keycard from his pocket. Running it over the detector, the light flashed red— fuck. "Do you have it facing the right way, Bell?"

   "Cute," he mocked, "Course' I do."

   "Gimme that," Magnolia pestered, snatching the card from his grasp. She then tried it every way her brain could muster, to which it gave that same denial as it did for her boyfriend. "Damnit."

   Bellamy watched her amusedly with a smirk, before seizing the ID from her hand and tucking it away. "What, did you think you had the magic touch, or something?"

   "Shut up," Maggie's cheeks puffed out as she rubbed a bead of sweat from her temple— despite it being more open-concept then anywhere she had been inside that entire facility, it still didn't feel cool. In fact, it felt stuffy, like an attic that hadn't been touched for a century.

   "Bellamy, Nols, come in," the voice of Maggie's savior chimed in, and she was just glad that Raven was still by their side and working the problem. Well, hopefully working the problem.

   Turning on his heel, the freckled boy rested his hands on the earbud, "Yeah, we're a little busy here, Raven."

   "You missed check-in," she chastised, but check-in was arguably the last thing on their minds. "Did you find the source of the acid fog yet?"

   "Making our way there now," Gray informed as they marched through the room, figuring that they could use the other door that lead to the stairwell. "This whole ordeal's taking longer than we anticipated it would."

   "I don't know enough to crack it on this end, you guys gotta give me something," Reyes countered. Knowing the girl the way she did, Maggie was almost certain she had notes and experiments scattered in front of her, trying to come up with some sort of solution.

   Magnolia sighed as Bellamy retrieved Lovejoy's card one more time. "Of course you don't. You're a genius, not a miracle worker. And with all this, we're very much— just dumb."

   "Speak for yourself," the boy's eyes squinted, suggesting he was messing around.

   Again, the red light became prominent— they were zero for two, and that didn't sit right with the brunette.

   "Something's wrong."

   "What?"

   "My keycard isn't working," Bellamy's eyes darted around, searching for any other route they could take.

   "That's not good."

   "Damn right it isn't," Maggie contributed, "We need to find another way in. You can't activate our card again, can you?"