↬ | chapter nineteen

019.

━━━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦ ━━━━━━

   "First watch is over. Go relieve Monroe on the south wall. Keep your eyes open," Bellamy instructed to a few of the gunners. "Mags, your shift is over," he called out to the newest addition. "Come 'ere."

   Some had began to believe that Maggie wasn't fit for the position of being a gunner; after all, she never got the initial training, and the others generally just had more experience. A few had even spoken privately to Bellamy about it, and he said that if there was a problem, they'd simply have to get over it.

   The girl had yet to prove herself, but she was ready for it. At the very least, she had convinced herself she was. 

   "Aye, aye," she saluted, trudging over to meet up with the boy who was walking towards Clarke.

   The three overlooked the area, inspecting the ground as if someone would show up out of nowhere. "Anything?" Bellamy queried, even though he knew the damn answer.

   Clarke stared off, not directly answering the question. "It's been two days. Maybe the bomb at the bridge scared them off for good."

   Pfftt, as if. 

   "You believe that?" Bellamy challenged, and Maggie felt the knot in her stomach that she had become comfortable with ever since the bombing. Maybe she was prepared (at least she thought she was), but not many others seemed like they were. People were walking around camp like they were waiting for their heads to be chopped off.

   The blonde shook her head knowingly. "No. They're coming."

   "I kinda wish they'd get it over with— it's making people even more uneasy with the longer they wait," Magnolia piped up, lowering her voice so just they would hear. "Although— I think that might be the point."

   All of them remained silent, mindlessly gazing at one another. "Jasper thinks he can cook up some more gunpowder if he gets some sulfur, and Raven says she can turn that into landmines," Bellamy turned on his heel, and the three proceeded to walk around the perimeter of the wall. "So— be careful where you step."

   "Ha, funny," Clarke said, seeming only a tad bit amused.

   "What I really need is one-thousand more of her tin can bombs so I can roll them into their village and blow those Grounders to hell," his expression changed rather hastily, and it caught the girls off-guard.

   "Rather morbid," Magnolia light-heartedly joked, feeling just a tinge of guilt for agreeing with him that that would be the simplest option. 

   Bellamy took notice of Clarke's uncertainty, "That's what they want to do to us."

   "Can't believe we've survived one-hundred years just so we could slaughter each other," the wavy-haired girl remarked. "There has to be another way."

   Her fellow leaders glared at one another, not wanting to be the one to burst her bubble. All of their strikes had been used; it was the opposite of the route Maggie wanted to take, but there wasn't any other options. "Any word from the Ark?"

   "Radio silence," her lips pressed together to form a thin line. Was anyone even alive up there still?

   The older Blake firmly rested his hands on his hips. "Finally ran out of air."

   Brutally honest.

   "Maybe my mom was lucky— being on the Exodus ship. At least it was quick," Clarke seemed to of spaced out. Magnolia looked down at the ground; she tried to not dwell on that thought for too long. In a way she was right— but losing your limbs had to of been agony. "No one is coming down to save us."