24 | diary

Diana's POV

"I'll be in our room." I told Jake, to which he nodded in response, as he continued to discuss about a dealing with some second party. We had already had our dinner but the guys were still up, discussing. I went upstairs and made my way to our room. I switched off the lights, keeping only the bed-side lamp on and took out my mother's diary.

I used to read that diary every time on her birthday. And as today was her birthday, I opened the page where I had left reading last.

"27th October 2001
Dear Diana,

Today, my doctor told me that if I have you, it is nearly impossible for me to live. Your dad is against my decision, but I am rock solid on it. I am not going to give up on you and that's final.

You might be wondering when you are reading this, that why did I keep a diary, that too for you. Well, I wanted to keep a diary like this so that I can pass it onto my kid later when I die after getting old or whatever comes first (I should have written the reason before long back but never mind). But heck, here we are, sitting on a see-saw of life and death.

Okay, okay, enough of life and death discussion (I hate it personally). Let me tell you today how I met your dad.

I was a rebel from when I remember. You might already know that I was actually not a complete Korean. My mother, that means your grandmother, was actually American and my Dad was Korean. I lived in America as long as I knew and my dream was to explore the world, and moreover, visit my Dad's native country.

Your grandfather did not have a good relation with his parents so we never actually went to his country before. So one fine day, I decided to go and explore. When I told this to my parents, my Dad was strictly against it but my Mom understood, how much this meant to me so she managed to pursue my Dad in agreeing. And when I said I'll visit Korea, oh god, the fit he threw right then and there.

But eventually when I got out of the house, I went to Korea of course. And I know right that you are going to be one rebellious type of girl, so you now know where the genes came from.

To be honest, the meeting of actually really different. Here I was, who wanted to explore everything I get my hand on. Yes dear, I was a very curious person. My mom called me a curious cat if I remember it right.

So anyways, one day, I had been invited to a party by my neighbour, who was actually a really good woman. She was a bit older than me and she had asked me whether I could join her in a party, and I said yes. So there I went, all dressed up, light makeup on, looking fantastic. But what I didn't know was, in the club, there was a dealing going on behind.

I had a bit too much to drink and I wanted to go to the washroom. I asked the bartender and he gave me the directions but instead of following them, I might have taken a few wrong turns and ended up getting into a room where the dealing was going on, thinking it was a washroom.

I was shocked to see so many men, sitting in a women's bathroom (and yes I was too drunk to put two and two together). Your dad was his father's assistant. He was probably standing in a corner, attending the dealing when I busted in. His dad ordered him to take me out of there, as he got to know that I was high.

Following his orders, your Dad took me out but before he could hand me to someone I know, I passed out on him. So he did some enquiry and got to know my address, and dropped me at home. I must have caught his eye or something because later, he introduced himself and we hung out more, eventually falling in love.

He was truthful with me. When we had started hanging out, he had told me that his Dad ran a mafia. I was really interested in these things so I never denied his company.

And life went on, we married blah blah and all that (I'm too lazy to write such details honey, please forgive me.)

So that was it for today I think. I know your Dad is going to miss me so much after I am gone but I can't give up your life for mine, can I? And you don't know how much I am going to miss seeing you grow up. I know somehow, that you will grow up to be a strong woman and so your name, Diana, and you will surely live up to the name.

After I'm gone, keep your Dad from missing me too much, will ya? Hope your time is going well and you are enjoying your life to the fullest.

Love,
Mom."

Tears ran down my face as I shut the book and kept it down beside me. Usually I read more than two to three entries before breaking down but today, it hit me earlier than before. I started sobbing, as I buried my face in my hands.

Jake's POV

"Goodnight." I wished everyone, as I stood up to make my way towards my room. I climbed upstairs and entered my room but I stopped in my tracks when I saw Diana sitting on the bed, crying. I rushed towards her, as I quickly sat down beside her, pulling her into a hug.

"What happened, Diana? Why are you crying?" I asked her, as I ran my hand up and down her back, trying to calm her down. She continued to sob into my shoulder.

"I failed as a daughter, Jake. I failed in all the responsibilities I was given."