Chapter 4: Making Things Happen

CHAPTER 4: MAKING THINGS HAPPEN

Nick’s POV:

“So how’s it all been?” Joe was pesky again. It had been a week since I had started rehearsals for Demi’s opening tour night and Joe hadn’t let up; everyday asking about all that went down at the Greek theatre.

“Having alotta fun to be honest. I only have to perform with her for only two songs which are back to back, so it isn’t much work. The rest of the time I just hang out on set chilling with Selena and everyone else.” This was true. Everything on the ‘Unbroken’ set seemed so chill. They were really coming along well in terms of preparations and time. It was only April but I was pretty sure by next month everything would be fit for opening night.

“Have you, uh, had time to really hang out with Demi and talk yet...” Joe threw me an anxious side glance. I could tell all my brother really cared about was Demi. He wasn’t interested in how the tour was coming along, or how I, his own brother was finding it. He only wanted news of Demi.

“Truthfully” I started, “No.. If there’s one person whose busiest, it’s Demi which is expected. She’s quite anxious to get the show perfect; down to the smallest detail; so she’s really throwing her all into it.” Demi was working her ass off. The catch-up bonding time I had really hoped for with her hadn’t really manifested yet. The few times we had conversed though I had sensed just the slightest hint of withdrawal. Was she holding back from me? She still joked like old times, but I still felt like she wasn’t quite comfortable with me yet.

I had promised Joe somewhat the night before I would try to see if Demi still held a sparkle of hope of them getting back together and if so, I would try and get a good word in there for him. Joe’s nagging had eventually gotten to me.

“Oh..” Joe looked disappointed.

“Yeah well it is understandable, this is really a time of focus for her” I replied.

“Wish I could meet her again... this is driving me nuts; all this anxiety!” Joe threw his arms up in the air in frustration.

“This isn’t really all about you though you know” I retorted. “I have a friend to gain back, if you haven’t forgotten. She probably means more to me than she does to you” This was the funny thing, I thought. Demi both meant so much to my brother and me, but for different reasons.

“Ya know Kevin’s mad at us” Joe interjected to my surprise.

“What?” I looked up.

“Yeah he thinks here we go meddling in Demi’s life again and it’s only gonna end the same as last time.... with things messed up”

Kevin had a point. Two years ago I lost my best friend as a result of my brother’s idiocy. I had lost her while he had moved onto the next girl and then the next to the point where he also realized that he too had lost her. I began to have my doubts.

Maybe it wasn’t such a good idea to try and get back into Demi’s good graces again. But at the back of my mind, I knew I owed her something. Some sort of reconciliation or apology. Although my brother had been the cause, I somehow felt part to blame just because of the fact that he was MY brother.

“But you know Kev never really was close to Demi like we were” Joe exclaimed.

“Yeah he was against you guys dating from the beginning” I replied. I hadn’t been. To be honest I had set them up. Joe had developed a crush on Demi and I had instigated the whole thing blindly. It only lasted 4 months but the consequences of their breakup as you probably know, wreaked havoc.