Chapter 5: Ups and Downs

CHAPTER FIVE:

Demi’s POV:

“Another one?” Nick asked as he slowly got up with his empty glass in hand; to head to the bar for more rounds.

I looked down at the empty glass in front of me; it had been filled with frothy beer a mere five or so minutes before. Wow, I must be really thirsty and stressed, I thought.

“Yeah sure” I said, as I handed him the empty glass.

“Okay, good to know you can hold your own” He teased. “Wouldn’t want you blacking out here in front of all these people and leave me to carry you home”

I laughed out loud. “You wish Nick Jonas; I could drink you under the table”

“We’ll see” he chuckled over his shoulder as he made his way to the bar.

We were at some dingy bar off Hollywood Boulevard. So much for connections and pull Nick, I thought as I giggled inwardly to myself. There was all but about ten people in the joint. At the corner was a stage with a karaoke machine like you would see in those old western bars.

“The boys and I are regulars here, it’s down low enough for us so people don’t hassle us when we wanna de-stress’’ he had said.

Sure enough when we walked in, the bartender had nodded at Nick and said “Good to see you Nick, I see you’ve brought a different real pretty friend this time”

I had blushed bright red. So, Nick brought a few pretty friends here often? I felt a slight tug in my chest. Was that jealously? Oh stop it Demi, I thought.

“Oh Demi here is just a friend, Max” Nick had replied, shaking the man’s hand. You hear that Demi, just a friend.

A few people had looked up and nodded at us as we walked to a nearby table. In the background there was a Lionel Ritchie record playing.

How did I get here? I thought to myself as I waited for Nick to bring our drinks. I hadn’t had a drink in about a month. With work and all, I had rarely made time for enjoyment of any kind. My elder sister Dallas had made empty attempts at getting me to go to parties with her, but I had blatantly turned her down every time. And yet here I was. The first notion of interest from Nick Jonas and I had jumped in head first.

Way to go Demi, I groaned.

(BREAK)

“So do you have a boyfriend?” Nick asked.

The question took me by surprise. I was presently occupied with sucking what was left of my third glass of beer out with a straw when he popped the question. I was downing these babies at record pace; I guess the nervousness was really getting to me.

“Ermmm, nope” I quickly offered up, my head still in the glass.

“Wow I didn’t expect that” He replied, smiling.

“What do you mean?” I sat up curious. My head was swooning a little but I was still sober enough to hold a conversation.

“Well Miss Demetria Devonne, if you don’t mind me saying, you’ve filled out pretty nicely” He teased. “I would’ve thought many suitors would have come calling by now.”

Wow. He thought I was pretty. That wasn’t even remotely noticeable before. The thought sent a warm fuzzy feeling through my body. But he was right though. I had had many interests from the opposite sex, I didn’t quite know if it was genuine or was it because of my celebrity status. Anyways, I had found none of them even vaguely interesting.