Chapter 14: Cover Ups

Demi’s POV:

“Welcome to our new apartment” Joe beamed, putting me down. He had carried me into our newly furnished apartment in Santa Monica.

It had been two months since Nick and I had had our talk. He had gone back to NYC not long after that and I had buried myself in my work to get him out of my head. Surprisingly it had worked and the void Nick had left Joe had somehow stepped up and filled.

It had been a month ago when we had decided we would move in together and a month later here we were, in our own place, away from his family.

“It’s quite spacious” I replied, eyeing the big loft.

“And it’s all ours” he said, wrapping his arms around me from the back as he started to kiss my neck. I snuggled in to him. Joe was not a bad boyfriend. He wasn’t Nick but he wasn’t a complete failure either. To be honest I had seen him step up a lot lately and I was really beginning to think that what we had was a lot more real than what I had originally thought it was.

After Nick had made it clear that one fateful night that he did not have romantic feelings for me anymore, I had made it my mission to throw myself into my relationship with Joe. So far, it had paid off. Nick was still in the back of my mind there somewhere but Joe was now the centre of my life. He, at least had stepped up when I needed him.

“Now now” I giggled. “We still have a lot of unpacking to do” as I weaselled my way out of his arms.

“Quit avoiding it Demetria” he teased, reaching out for me again.

“Not avoiding Joe. Just waiting for the right time and place.” I reprimanded him.

The ‘it’ we were talking about, was sex. Six months after going out I had still not granted Joe the time of day. I had wanted to wait for the right time; and somehow no time had felt like the right time yet. It wasn’t that I was scared or anything. It was just that the last time Joe and I had dated I had given myself to him freely and look how long that relationship lasted. This time round, I knew what I had to do. I was not going to be no easy hook up for anyone.

“Okay okay I get it” he replied, making a face. I knew he was tired of getting tired of waiting. I mean six months really was a quite a wait.

“Look if the right time doesn’t come before then, we’ll make Christmas the time okay?” I offered, shyly.

He seemed to light up at that. Sigh, typical guys I thought.

Christmas was only a month away. I knew now Joe would be counting down the days intently.

✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺

Nick’s POV:

“Hey cutie what’s your name?”

“Nick” I replied, taking another swig of my beer.

I was at some house party in downtown New York. My friend Zack from the Broadway show we were doing together had been invited by a few friends to their house party and I had decided to tag along. The place was already packed full with people and I had already had half the women in the place hitting on me. Surprisingly, no one had recognised me yet which was a good thing.

“I’m Gina. Where you from Nick?” she was eyeing me eagerly up and down.

“LA” I replied, throwing her a sideway glance. She was about 5 feet and 100 pounds with short brown hair and a cute pixie like face.

“Wow I’d love to go LA someday” she remarked, getting giddy all of a sudden.  

“Yeah you should check it out” I replied.