Chapter 11: Boot Camp (Part 1)

Chapter 11: Boot Camp Part 1.

Demi’s POV:

“So the house is a 10 bedroom mansion, indoor pool, outdoor pool, tennis court, Jacuzzi, a game room and a movie theatre. It can be yours for two nights at a cost of- “the realtor quickly punched a few numbers into the calculator he was holding.

“$30 thousand” he ended, with a smile.

“Great we’ll take it” I replied, taking his hand and shaking on the offer.

I had been looking for a house to film the boot camp episode for a week and had finally come across this sprawling mansion on the outskirts of LA. It had previously belonged to a rich oil company owner who went bankrupt and the bank had seized the house on account of unpaid loans. It was now being rented out by the bank itself, and I had managed to book it for two nights.

“Eeeek it’s so massive!” squealed Jennel, one of my contestants, as she pranced into the expansive main living room area. She was a cute little Latina who had previously been working as mechanic before deciding to use her singing talent to her advantage.

“I know right, and it’s absolutely beautiful!” She was followed in by a slim girl, who was a little more reserved than she. Jillian was a soulful singer we had discovered in Dallas. She and Jennel had been inseparable since the start of the competition. It would be heart breaking if I were ever to pull them apart, I thought.

“I’d hoped you two would at least carry your own bags in” complained a young black American girl who was lugging three suitcases in almost buckling under the weight. Paige was a single mom which explained her constant need to hover over Jill and Jennel like she was their mother.

“Oops sorry” cried Jennel running over to help Paige.

“Now this is my kinda lifestyle” the comment came from a beautiful blonde girl who had just entered. Cece not only looked like a star, she acted like one too. Her high maintenance and driven demeanour had rubbed a few of the group the wrong way at first but the girl had unbelievable talent and I was ready to overlook her other shortcomings.  

The last two remaining members of our group joined us then, Dominic and Shane. Shane was a black American boy who had auditioned in Michigan and Dom was a Caucasian from the Vegas round.

“Okay guys well its only 8am” I said, glancing at my watch. “We will have the performances at 2pm so you have time to get settled into your rooms and then have some time to practice your songs. I’m sure the team will call y’all when it’s go time.” I offered them a smile hoping to calm some of the nerves they were probably having.

“Oh Demi why won’t you tell us who your guest mentor is now!” pleaded Jennel, giving me her usual cute as a button puppy eyes.

“I can’t. It’s supposed to be a surprise Jennel you know that” I reprimanded her lightly.

“Yeah Jen be patient it’s only a few hours away” Jill said, putting her arm around her friend’s shoulders.

“I’m hungry” Dom interrupted.

“Oh yeah the kitchen is that way” I pointed out, “There is already takeouts and the fridge is filled with whatever else. By the way if you need anything else I’m sure one of the crew here will help you out don’t be afraid to ask guys.”

I didn’t need to say anymore; the mention of food and they were off.

Let’s hope they don’t eat too much to make themselves feel wheezy before their performances, I thought.

There were about ten or so other people now in the house setting up cameras, lights, speakers and such.

I’m probably in the way, I thought, turning and making my way up the flight of grand stairs to the bedroom I had picked out for myself beforehand. I grabbed a few notes I had gotten off the show’s executives to help me with my judging, and sat down onto the bed to read through them. I guess now was a better time than ever to read them while I waited for the guest judge, Nick.