Chapter 21: Significant Others

CHAPTER 21: SIGNIFICANT OTHERS

Demi’s POV:

“Stop looking at me like that!” I exclaimed, shooting a bothered look at the blue eyed, blonde young man sitting across the table from me.

Niall was grinning like an idiot, as he continued to gape at me after I had sat myself down.

“You just look,” he started to say, “breathless.”

“Niall you’re making me uncomfortable, and in front of all these people too.” I replied, looking around us uncomfortably at other people in the restaurant hoping no one in the nearby tables had heard. It was a packed night tonight, I noted.

“Well I’m just telling the truth” he replied, continuing to gaze at me with admiration in his lovely eyes.

“Okay I get it, can you stop now.” I snapped, my self-consciousness making me pull on the green mini cocktail dress I had on.

“Okay okay” he said, laughing at how awkward I’d suddenly become, fidgeting and unable to sit still. “How about we order a few drinks to start off with?” he added.

I felt myself start to relax at not being the subject of the matter anymore.

“Sure” I responded, breathing a sigh of relief.

Ten minutes later the waiter had returned with a bottle of red merlot. 

“Uh I’m not much of a wine drinker.” I immediately piped in, glancing unsurely at Niall.

“You’ve gotta be kidding me” he replied, shocked.

“Nope, I’m not and unless you want to carry me out of here tonight I’d best order something else.” I teased him.

“I’ll just have coke and jack please.” I said to the waiter who nodded and proceeded to leave us.

“There’s always a first time for everything you know?” Niall remarked once the waiter had left.

“Trust me I’ve tried and wine just does not like me.” I stated.

“You’re a lightweight Lovato, you really are.” He teased, his blue eyes twinkling with amusement. The guy really did like to tease the crap out of me.

“Like I said, if you have no problem with throwing me over your shoulder and carrying me out of here in front of all these people then feel free to pour me a glass.” I joked, amidst giggles as the thought played out in my head.

“I guess that wouldn’t be such a big deal given I could always take advantage of you afterwards as payback.” He replied, with a cheeky grin slapped across his face.

“Don’t even try” I chuckled.

“Hey, who knows you might actually enjoy it.” He continued, the smirk on his face growing wider.

“Which is exactly why I am not drinking wine tonight. End of.” I laughed, poking my tongue out at him.  

“Can’t say I didn’t try.” He smiled, shrugging with defeat.  

“I’ve missed you” I replied, laughing.

“Me too’’ he replied, a keen look on his face. “Now that you’re single I suppose we can have a lot more downtime together eh?”

“I still have work and so do you superstar” I replied, “or have you forgotten you’re in the biggest boy band in the world”

“I’ll be in the US a lot more this year, yanno I think I might just move here.” He replied, eyeing my face closely for a reaction. He got it.