Chapter 7: Internal Conflicts

CHAPTER 7:

Demi’s POV:

“Looking very sleepy there Miss Lovato” Selena joked.

I had just walked into the theatre for our last week of rehearsals. Truth was, I was majorly flushed out. What with rehearsals during the day and hanging out with Joe at night. It had been two weeks since we had gone to dinner and ended up rekindling our little romance. Romance, I smile to myself as I made my way over to Selena. I felt like a little girl falling in love for the first time again. Since that night, and that kiss; Joe and I had spent every day in each other’s company and arms. Whenever I could I would sneak off set to have lunch with him. At night, we would go off on our own to wherever his car took us. It felt like young love again and I was caught up in the innocence and sweetness of it all. There had been many more kisses, just as sweet and memorable as the first.

“Uh Earth to Demi” Selena was saying.

I quickly snapped to attention. “Oh sorry” I grinned at her.

“Another late night eh?” she asked, a look of mischief in her dark eyes. Selena knew about Joe and I. She had managed to dig everything out of me since the morning after the dinner, when I had showed up to work in a daze and a stupid grin on my face; from the previous night’s events.

I nodded guiltily, as I pretended to fidget in my handbag for nothing in particular. Selena was a tease. She hadn’t been able to leave me alone about it all. She was almost a bad a tease as the master tease Nick himself. Nick, I thought. I hadn’t seen much of him since that night to be honest. He had come to work the next morning but right after we rehearsed our part in the show together, instead of hanging around the set for the rest of the day like he was always so used to; he had excused himself and gone home. Actually, that had been the case every other day after that. Everyone else had noticed too.

“He looks sickly lately” my mom had said one time worriedly. She always was concerned about him. Out of everyone working at the Greek with me, my mom tended to Nick first and foremost. She fussed over him everyday making sure he had enough energy to perform, and running back and forth with bottles of water for him. Selena and I usually just rolled our eyes at each other watching this display.

“Yeah maybe he’s been overworked” mom had continued.

Well whatever it was I hardly had time to chat to him regardless. But as we drew closer to show time I figured the best thing I could do for Nick was let him take whatever rest he needed, so I just decided to let him go. On top of it all, I rarely had time anymore for anything; what with the tour drawing nearer by the day and stress starting to kick in.

I sighed to myself. My body was crying out for rest but that wasn’t even an option right now. At least I had Joe to keep me going I thought cheerfully as my mind drew back to the previous night when we had gone go-carting after dark.

“You look like you’re about to drop dead” my mom had walked up to Selena and I at this moment. Thrusting a banana in my hand she said “Here, eat something there’s only a week til the first show and you still have a lot to do”

I groaned. A week. Need she remind me? “Is Nick here yet?” I asked whilst devouring the banana she had given me.

“Yeah he’s on the stage now, he asked if we could practice your songs together first today he had somewhere to be after” was the reply.

“Sorry Sel” I turned to Selena next to me, “Looks like you’ll have to wait to rehearse our song until after lunch”

Selena made a face while I turned and headed towards the direction of the stage.